National Intelligence and Security Agency
National Intelligence and Security Agency of Somalia logo
|Jurisdiction||Federal Government of Somalia|
NISA was officially established in January 2013 by the new Somali Federal Government in place of the defunct National Security Service (NSS). It is part of a broader effort by the federal authorities to re-establish state institutions.
Headquartered in Mogadishu, NISA is tasked with firming up security. It is assisted in this capacity by AMISOM. According to the former Minister of State for the Presidency Abdulkadir Moallin Noor, the CIA also provided training to NISA officials during the latter agency's formative stages.
In April 2014, the United Arab Emirates donated several battle wagons and other equipment to NISA.
As of July 2014, the Gaashaan ("Shield") counterterrorism force constitutes a fundamental part of the National Intelligence and Security Agency. According to Somali government officials, it is a commando force trained by the United States. NISA associates indicate that Gaashaan consists of two units totaling 120 men.
Alpha Group is Gaashan's first component, and includes around 40 soldiers and 3 officers who were chosen from amongst 190 special Somali National Army troops. According to Somali defense officials, this unit received training in the United States between late 2009 and early 2010. U.S. anti-terrorism expert Derek Gannon indicates that the Alpha Group's training regimen includes counter-insurgency, counter-terror operation and executive-protecting, with an emphasis on quick reaction in an urban environment. The soldiers are also equipped with guns with night-vision scopes, among other modern military hardware.
- "Somalia Re-Opens its National Intelligence & Security Agency". Walta Info. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "PRESS RELEASE: AU Special Representative reaffirms AMISOM's continued support to the Somali National Intelligence and Security Agency (NISA)" (PDF). African Union. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "CIA using secret Somalia facility, prison: report". AFP. 12 July 2011. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "Somalia: Mogadishu security operation nets 27 Al Shabaab members". Garowe Online. Garowe Online. 30 August 2013. Archived from the original on 2014-07-20. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "UAE efforts vital to future of Somalia". The National. 22 May 2015. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- Pugliese, David (20 July 2014). "Somali-Canadian leads new counter-terrorism force". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Dan Joseph, Harun Maruf (31 July 2014). "US-Trained Somali Commandos Fight Al-Shabab". VOA. Retrieved 1 August 2014.