Nitza Metzger Szmuk
|Nitza Metzger Szmuk|
|Born||Tel Aviv, Israel|
|Known for||Preservation of Tel Aviv|
|Notable awards||2006 Emet Prize, 2001 Rokach Prize|
Nitza Metzger Szmuk (Hebrew: ניצה מצגר סמוק) is an Israeli architect, and Emet Prize laureate in architecture for her work on documentation and preservation of Tel Aviv's White City. She also received the Rokach Prize in 2001.
Born in Tel Aviv, Israel, she completed her architecture studies at the University of Florence, Italy, in 1978. After graduating she worked at an architectural firm in Florence doing conservation of historic buildings.
Upon her return to Israel in 1989, Metzger Szmuk was employed by the Tel Aviv Foundation for the development of an architectural survey of the city’s International Style buildings. The survey served as the basis for the city's preservation plan and for her first book, “Dwelling on the Dunes”, which was first published in 1994 and has been published to date in Hebrew, English and French.
Metzger-Szmuk set up the conservation team at the Tel Aviv-Jaffa Municipality in 1990 and headed it until 2002. She has been given much credit in the proclamation of "The White City" as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2003. In 2005 she joined the Technion as a faculty member. In 2006 she was appointed Associate Professor and she currently heads the graduate program in architecture with specialization in preservation. In 2006 Metzger Szmuk was laureate of the Emet Award for Architecture, for her contribution to promoting conservation in Israel. She was also awarded the Rokach Prize for Architecture and a certificate of honor for her professional contribution to the field of conservation, by the Association of Israeli Architects and Town Planners.
Since 2003 she owns an architectural office, specializing in preservation.
Metzger Szmuk has curated an exhibition carrying the name : "The White City-Tel Aviv's Modern Movement". The exhibition was first held at the Tel Aviv Museum of Art in 2004. Since then it has traveled to Canada, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Belgium and Germany.
- Dwelling on the Dunes: Tel Aviv, Modern Movement and Bauhaus Ideals / Des maisons sur le sable: Tel-Aviv, Mouvement moderne et esprit Bauhaus. Nitza Metzger-Szmuk,
Véra Pinto-Lasry, Vivianne Barsky, Dani Karavan. Bilingual edition English/French. Editions de l'Eclat, Paris, 2004. 447 pages. ISBN 978-2-84162-077-7
- http://www.whitecity.co.il/Text.asp?txtItemID=36 White City official website
- http://www.emetprize.org/english/Product.aspx?Product=34&Year=2006[dead link]
- http://www.uqam.ca/nouvelles/2005/05-151.htm the exhibition at the UQAM, Montreal
- http://archizoom.epfl.ch/webdav/site/archizoom/shared/Archives_expos/Tel_Aviv_com_presse_ang.pdf the exhibition at the EPFL, Switzerland
- http://www.civa.be/sub/01_1_show.asp?agid=21 the exhibition at the CIVA, Brussels
- http://dam.inm.de/presse/PI_WhiteCity_090625_e.pdf the exhibition at the DAM, Frankfurt[dead link]