No. 293 Squadron was a Royal Air Force air-sea rescue squadron. During the second world war the unit operated search and rescue missions for Allied aircraft operating over Italy.
No. 293 Squadron was formed at RAF Blida, North Africa on 28 November 1943 with the Vickers Warwick in the air-sea rescue role. After providing detachments into Italy the squadron moved to Pomigliano, Italy in March 1944. In April 1944 the Warwicks were supplemented by Supermarine Walrus flying boats. In March 1945 the squadron moved to Foggia, but moved back to Pomigliano in June where it stayed until it was disbanded on 5 April 1946.
Aircraft operated by no. 293 Squadron RAF, data from
||Twin-engined bomber operated in the search and rescue role.
||Single pusher-engined biplane rescue amphibian.
Bases and airfields used by no. 293 Squadron RAF, data from
||RAF Blida, Algeria
||RAF Bone, Algeria
||Det. at Pomigliano, Italy
||Dets. all over the Italian coast
||Dets. at Tortoreto, Italy; Udine, Italy and Cesenatico, Italy
Officrs commanding no. 293 Squadron RAF, data from
||S/Ldr. R.W. Pye
||S/Ldr. W.R. Gellatly, RNZAF
||S/Ldr. R.J. Cruttenden
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937-56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Delve, Ken. The Source Book of the RAF. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1994. ISBN 1-85310-451-5.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Franks, Norman. Beyond Courage: Air Sea Rescue by Walrus Squadrons in the Adriatic, Mediterranean and Tyrrhenian Seas, 1942-1945. London: Grub Street, 2003. ISBN 1-904010-30-X.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force and Commonwealth, 1918-1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd). RAF Squadrons: A Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of All RAF Squadrons and Their Antecedents Since 1912, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988. ISBN 1853100536. (second revised edition 2001. ISBN 1-84037-141-2.)
- Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd., 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985). Orbis Publishing.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>