No. 577 Squadron RAF
|No. 577 Squadron RAF|
|Active||1 December 1943 – 15 June 1946|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Role||anti-aircraft co-operation unit|
|Squadron Codes||3Y (Dec 1943 – Jun 1946)|
577 squadron was formed on 1 December 1943 at RAF Castle Bromwich from elements of nos.6, 7 and 8 anti-aircraft cooperation units (AACU). It operated a varied lot of aircraft on airfields and bases all over the Midlands and Wales. On 15 June 1946 the squadron disbanded at Castle Bromwich.
|December 1943||July 1945||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.IV|
|December 1943||June 1946||Airspeed Oxford||Mks.I, II|
|May 1944||July 1945||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.IIc|
|November 1944||July 1945||Bristol Beaufighter||Mk.I|
|April 1945||June 1946||Vultee Vengeance||Mk.IV|
|June 1945||August 1945||Supermarine Spitfire||Mk.Vb|
|June 1945||June 1946||Supermarine Spitfire||LF.16e|
|1 December 1943||15 June 1946||RAF Castle Bromwich, Warwickshire||Dets. at RAF Wrexham, Wrexham; RAF Sealand, Flintshire;
RAF Montford Bridge, Shropshire; RAF Shobdon, Herefordshire;
RAF Bodorgan, Anglesey; RAF Ipswich, Suffolk;
RAF Mona, Anglesey; RAF Fairwood Common, Glamorgan;
RAF Woodvale, Merseyside; RAF Atcham, Shropshire;
RAF Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria and RAF Hawarden, Cheshire
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd.). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988 (second edition 2001). ISBN 1-85310-053-6.
- Rawlings, John D.R. Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft. London: Jane's Publishing Company Ltd., 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0187-5.
- Sturtivant, Ray, ISO and John Hamlin. RAF Flying Training And Support Units since 1912. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air-Britain (Historians) Ltd., 2007. ISBN 0-85130-365-X.