No. 598 Squadron RAF
|No. 598 Squadron RAF|
|Active||1 December 1943 – 30 April 1945|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Role||Anti-aircraft Co-operation Unit|
|Squadron badge heraldry||No badge authorised|
|Squadron codes||No squadron codes known to have been carried|
The squadron was formed on 1 December 1943 at RAF Peterhead, Scotland from 1479 Flight and No. 1632 Flight RAF. It was tasked as an Anti-aircraft Co-operation Unit to cover the north east of Scotland and though officially based at Peterhead, it had detachments all over Scotland. The squadron continued in its role to March 1945, when it moved south to RAF Bircham Newton and re-equipped with the Bristol Beaufighter. It disbanded at Bircham Newton on 30 April 1945.
|December 1943||January 1944||Westland Lysander||Mk.IIa|
|December 1943||April 1945||Airspeed Oxford||Mks.I, II|
|December 1943||April 1945||Miles Martinet||Mk.I|
|February 1944||April 1945||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.IV|
|June 1944||April 1945||Hawker Hurricane||Mk.IIc|
|April 1945||April 1945||Bristol Beaufighter||Mk.I|
|1 December 1943||12 March 1945||RAF Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland||Dets. at RAF Longman, Inverness; RAF Skeabrae, Orkney Islands;
RAF Sumburgh, Shetland Islands; RAF Montrose, Angus and RAF Turnhouse, Edinburgh
|12 March 1945||30 April 1945||RAF Bircham Newton, Norfolk||Dets. at RAF Lympne, Kent; RAF Peterhead, Aberdeenshire and
RAF Hutton Cranswick, East Riding of Yorkshire
- RafWeb's Air of Authority – A History of RAF Organisation
- Bowyer and Rawlings 1979, p. 148.
- Flintham and Thomas 2003, p. 232.
- Halley 1988, p. 415.
- Jefford 2001, p. 99.
- Bowyer, Michael J.F. and John D.R. Rawlings. Squadron Codes, 1937–56. Cambridge, UK: Patrick Stephens Ltd., 1979. ISBN 0-85059-364-6.
- Flintham, Vic and Andrew Thomas. Combat Codes: A full explanation and listing of British, Commonwealth and Allied air force unit codes since 1938. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 2003. ISBN 1-84037-281-8.
- Halley, James J. The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force & Commonwealth 1918–1988. Tonbridge, Kent, UK: Air Britain (Historians) Ltd., 1988. ISBN 0-85130-164-9.
- Jefford, Wing Commander C.G., MBE, BA, RAF(Retd.). RAF Squadrons, a Comprehensive record of the Movement and Equipment of all RAF Squadrons and their Antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK: Airlife Publishing, 1988 (second edition 2001). ISBN 1-85310-053-6.