The Norman family became prominent in British banking circles from about 1820 to 1950. The most prominent member of the family was Montagu Norman. the powerful Governor of the Bank of England 1920 to 1944.
- His fourth son was Frederick Norman (1839-1916), a director of the merchant bank Brown, Shipley & Co.. He married Lina Susan Collet (1852–1950), a daughter of Sir Mark Wilks Collet, 1st Baronet, of St. Clere, Ightham, Sevenoaks, on 15 November 1870. They had three children together:
- Sir Montagu Norman (the 1st Baron Norman (6 September 1871 – 4 February 1950), a long serving Governor of the Bank of England) and
- Ronald Collet Norman (1873–5 December 1963), chaired the BBC and the London County Council.
Mark Norman CBE (3 April 1910 – 1994) was an English banker, managing director of Lazard Brothers, the merchant bankers and chairman of Gallaher, the cigarette manufacturers. He was a son of Ronald Collet Norman. His own son is David Norman (born 30 January 1941), a management consultant and entrepreneur.
- Philip Norman (1842-1931), another son of George Warde Norman, was a noted artist, author and antiquarian.
- Gille comments on the intermarriages between banking families, long-established and newcomers (Gille 1985).
- Williamson, Philip. "Norman, Montagu Collet". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/35252.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles> (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Montagu was the eldest child (Clay 1957, p. 495).
- One Richard Norman married Lady Elizabeth Isabella Manners, daughter of the 4th Duke of Rutland in 1798 (Lundy 2012, p. 1598 § 15975). Their son the Reverend F.J. Norman (d. 1888), Rector of Bottesford, Lincolnshire, married his cousin Lady Adeliza Manners, daughter of John Manners, 5th Duke of Rutland in 1835 (Lundy 2009, p. 1599 § 15981). Their daughter Elizabeth Cecile Norman married into the Drummond banking family, related to the earls of Perth.
- Sir Maurice Bonham Carter (grandfather of actress Helena Bonham Carter) was grandson of George Warde Norman, and nephew to Frederick Norman
- Clay, Henry (1957), Lord Norman, St. Martin's Press, p. 495<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Gille, Bertrand (1985), Travaux de droit, d'économie, de sociologie et de sciences politiques (in French), Librarie Droz, pp. 107, 135
|url=(help)CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Lundy, Darryl (27 December 2009), p. 1599 § 15981, The Peerage External link in
|publisher=(help)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>[unreliable source?]
- Lundy, Darryl (11 September 2012), p. 1598 § 15975, The Peerage External link in
|publisher=(help)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>[unreliable source?].
- Some Ancestry of Isabella Julia Norman alt.talk.royalty Usenet group, 27 August 1998.