One Way Out (album)
|One Way Out|
|Live album by The Allman Brothers Band|
|Released||March 23, 2004|
|Recorded||March 25–26, 2003|
|Genre||Blues rock, southern rock, jam|
|The Allman Brothers Band chronology|
One Way Out is a live album by the Allman Brothers Band. It is the first live album to feature Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks together, although both had appeared separately on previous live albums. It was recorded during the group's annual Beacon Theatre run in New York City on March 25 and 26, 2003, and released a year later.
The album features extended jams and guitar solos that showcase the virtuosity of Trucks and Haynes. While the original Allman Brothers Band focused both on jazz-based soloing and looser free jamming, the more modern version of the band is loud and tight throughout. Trucks and Haynes show a great respect for the legacy of Duane Allman and Dickey Betts while still managing to do something original with their guitars. Music writer Robert Christgau cites One Way Out as the band's best live album.
- "Statesboro Blues" (Blind Willie McTell) - 5:22
- "Don't Keep Me Wonderin'" (Gregg Allman) - 4:12
- "Midnight Rider" (Gregg Allman, Robert Payne) - 3:16
- "Rockin' Horse" (Gregg Allman, Warren Haynes, Allen Woody, Jack Pearson) - 10:12
- "Desdemona" (Gregg Allman, Warren Haynes) - 13:27
- "Trouble No More" (Muddy Waters) - 3:45
- "Wasted Words" (Gregg Allman) - 7:51
- "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" (Sonny Boy Williamson) - 9:01
- "Instrumental Illness" (Warren Haynes, Oteil Burbridge) - 16:42 (with 5:36 drum solo)
- "Ain't Wastin' Time No More" (Gregg Allman) - 6:29
- "Come and Go Blues" (Gregg Allman) - 6:03
- "Woman Across the River" (Bettye Crutcher, Allen Jones) - 6:38
- "Old Before My Time" (Gregg Allman, Warren Haynes) - 5:37
- "Every Hungry Woman" (Gregg Allman) - 5:21
- "High Cost of Low Living" (Gregg Allman, Warren Haynes, Jeff Anders, Ronnie Burgin) - 8:42
- "Worried Down with the Blues" (Warren Haynes, John Jaworowicz) - 7:58
- "Dreams" (Gregg Allman) - 12:49
- "Whipping Post" (Gregg Allman) - 15:31
The Allman Brothers Band
- Gregg Allman - Hammond B-3 organ, piano, acoustic guitar, lead vocals
- Jaimoe - drums (left side)
- Butch Trucks - drums (right side)
- Warren Haynes - lead and slide guitars (right side), lead and background vocals
- Marc Quinones - congas, percussion, background vocals
- Oteil Burbridge - bass
- Derek Trucks - lead and slide guitars (left side)
- Produced by: Michael Barbiero and Warren Haynes
- Recorded and mixed by: Michael Barbiero
- Assistant engineers: Mike Scielzi, Joel Singer
- Tape operator: Hardi Kamsani
- Stage: Brandon Karp
- Mastered by: George Marino
Peak positions and certifications
|US Billboard Albums Chart||RIAA||190||—|
- Jurek, Thom. "One Way Out - The Allman Brothers Band | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- Kazantsev, Dmitry. "Альбом". blues.ru. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- Christgau, Robert (January 4, 2005). "Heads, Future and Past". The Village Voice. Village Voice Media. Retrieved 2011-09-25.
- Williams, Adam (14 June 2004). "The Allman Brothers Band: One Way Out < PopMatters". popmatters.com. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- "The Billboard 200 - One Way Out: Live At The Beacon Theater". Billboard. Archived from the original on April 5, 2014. Retrieved 2009-07-06.