Otto Grieg Tidemand
During the Second World War he served as a fighter pilot with the Royal Norwegian Air Force from 1942 to 1946, after training at a flying school in Canada. He was posted to No. 332 Squadron RAF (known as the Norwegian Squadron). While a Sergeant pilot under training in England on 8 June 1943 he crash landed his training plane near Ellesmere but survived unhurt. He flew Spitfires on offensive sweeps in north-west Europe and was credited with destroying one German Focke-Wulf Fw 190 and sharing in the downing of a Messerschmitt 410.
From 1965 to 5 June 1970 he served as the Minister of Defence during the centre-right cabinet of Per Borten. On this date he was appointed Minister of Trade and Shipping, a position he held until the Borten cabinet fell in 1971.
He held numerous board memberships in Norwegian corporations, notably serving as chairman of the board of Saga Petroleum (1972-1976), Atlas Copco Norway (1978-1997), Vesta Hygea (1984-1986), Fina Norway (1981-1996) and Store Norske Spitsbergen Kulkompani (1982-1987). He was a member of the Steering Committee of the Bilderberg Group.
- Haakon VII 70th Anniversary Medal 1943
- Distinguished Flying Cross (United Kingdom) 1944
- War Medal (Norway) 1944
- St. Olav's Medal with Oak Branch 1945
- Defence Medal 1940-1945 1945
- Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany 1970
- Commander of the Order of the Polar Star (Sweden) (first class) 1990
- Commander of the Order of Leopold (Belgium) 1997
Tidemand was president of the Norwegian Golf Federation from 1962 to 1965.
He died in Oslo in June 2006, eight days before his 85th birthday.
- "Tidemand, Otto Grieg". Stortinget. Retrieved 14 August 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Thorne, Thomas (2013). Pancakes & Prangs: Twentieth-Century Military Aircraft Accidents in Shropshire. Bridge Books. p. 150. ISBN 978-1-84494-087-5.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Former Steering Committee Members". bilderbergmeetings.org. Bilderberg Group. Retrieved 2014-02-08.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Minister of Defence (Norway)
|Minister of Trade and Shipping (Norway)
Per Andreas Kleppe
|This article about a Norwegian politician born in the 1920s is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|