Pace University School of Law
|Pace Law School|
|Location||White Plains, New York, US|
|Bar pass rate||87%|
|ABA profile||Pace Law School Profile|
Pace University School of Law, commonly known as "Pace Law School", is the law school of Pace University, a comprehensive, independent, and diversified university with campuses in New York City and Westchester County. Located approximately 10 miles (16 km) north of New York City proper, Pace Law School is situated on a 13-acre (53,000 m2) landscaped campus of historic and modern buildings in White Plains, New York.
Founded in 1976, Pace Law School is accredited by the American Bar Association. According to Pace Law School's 2013 ABA-required disclosures, 40.8% of the Class of 2013 obtained full-time, long-term, JD-required employment nine months after graduation.
Pace Law School campus is also home to the New York State Judicial Institute, which serves as a statewide center for the education, training, and research facility for all judges and justices of the New York State Unified Court System
The law school has several clinics and centers, including the Pace Energy and Climate Center, the Pace Environmental Litigation Clinic, and the Land Use Law Center.
Other centers and clinics include the Women's Justice Center, the Barbara C. Salken Criminal Justice Clinic, the Investor Rights Clinic, the Kheel Center on the Resolution of Environmental Interest Disputes, and the Immigration Justice Clinic.
The Pace Community Law Practice was launched in September 2012. It is a first-of-its-kind legal residency and incubator program where recent Pace Law School graduates serve as Fellows intensively learning legal practice under the supervision of experienced attorneys and gaining the tools to create solo and small practices.
According to Pace Law School's official 2013 ABA-required disclosures, 40.8% of the Class of 2013 obtained full-time, long-term, JD-required employment nine months after graduation. Pace Law School's Law School Transparency under-employment score is 25.9%, indicating the percentage of the Class of 2013 unemployed, pursuing an additional degree, or working in a non-professional, short-term, or part-time job nine months after graduation.
The total cost of attendance (indicating the cost of tuition, fees, and living expenses) at Pace Law School for the 2014-2015 academic year is $68,286. The Law School Transparency estimated debt-financed cost of attendance for three years is $243,596.
Pace Law School offers programs of study leading to the Juris Doctor (J.D.), Master of Laws (LL.M.), and Doctor of Juridical Science (S.J.D.) degrees. The LL.M. in comparative legal studies is available for graduates of law schools outside the United States and is intended for those seeking to return home after a year of study and for those who wish to sit the New York State bar exam. Pace also offers an LL.M. in Environmental Law as well as two tracks of concentration within those programs, one in Climate Change Law and the other in Sustainable Development and Land Use. Pace offered an LL.M. in Real Estate Law for the 2008/09 through 2010/11 academic years.
Students who wish to obtain the J.D. degree may choose to receive a certificate of specialization in either of the programs for which Pace is best known: environmental law and international law. Other curricular concentrations include constitutional law, commercial law, corporate law, civil litigation and dispute resolution, criminal law and criminal procedure, evidence, family law, intellectual property law, real estate law, women’s justice/domestic violence, and land use.
The law school has several joint degree programs, including an M.P.A. degree from Pace University's Dyson College of Arts and Sciences, an M.B.A. degree from Pace University's Lubin School of Business, a J.D./M.E.M. with the Yale University School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, a J.D./M.A. degree with Sarah Lawrence College in women’s studies, or a J.D./M.S. degree with Bard College Center for Environmental Policy.
Environmental Law Program
The Environmental Law Program at Pace was ranked third in the nation in environmental law programs in 2013. The law school offers the Master of Laws (LL.M.) in environmental law or the Doctor of Juridical Science (S.J.D.) in environmental law. Pace Law School hosts the National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition. The school's Environmental Litigation Clinic offers a range of clinic programs. Pace also offers climate change and sustainable development and land use.
International Law Program
Pace Law students who wish to gain international experience may participate in several opportunities including comparative legal studies with Brazil and Singapore that include study abroad components; and the U.N. Environmental Diplomacy Practicum, where students intern with a U.N mission. Pace participates in four international moot court competitions, one of which it sponsors: The Willem C. Vis International Moot Court Competition is held each year in Vienna, Austria and attracts more than 250 law schools from over 60 countries. Team members are selected by professors and chosen based on writing ability and oral presentation skills.
Pace Law school also has one of the most comprehensive Immigration programs in the country. While most immigration clinics only handle asylum cases, with perhaps a few VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) cases, students enrolled in the Immigration Justice Clinic handle family-based petitions, employment-based petitions, religious-based petitions, Special Immigrant Juvenile, J-1 waiver and HIV waivers, TPS (Temporary Protected Status), reopening of final removal orders, U-visa (crime victim), and most of all, the crime-based removal cases that frequently take our student attorneys into the Second, Third, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeal. Students have also prepared a writ of certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court. In short, students represent the immigrants most in need of free, competent, ethical representation. In addition, students conduct community education programs at local community organizations, and participate in legislative advocacy at the federal level in conjunction with the American Immigration Lawyer's Association (AILA), and independently at the local level.
Noted alumni and faculty
- John P. Cahill '85 - Senior Policy Advisor & Secretary and Chief of Staff to New York State Governor George E. Pataki, and Development Chief of Lower Manhattan; former Commissioner, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, Counsel at Chadbourne & Parke
- Ruth Noemí Colón - 66th Secretary of State of New York
- Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. '87 - Alumnus; Distinguished Professor of Environmental Law & Co-Director, Pace Law School's Environmental Litigation Clinic; Radio host, Ring of Fire; former Assistant District Attorney in the City of New York
- Kieran Lalor '07 - Member of the New York State Assembly
- Malachy E. Mannion '79 - United States Magistrate Judge, United States District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- James A. Murphy III '86 - District Attorney, Saratoga County, New York
- George Oros - Chief of Staff to Westchester County Executive Robert Astorino, former Westchester County Legislator
- Richard Ottinger - Former member of the United States House of Representatives; former dean of Pace Law School and Co-director of the Center for Environmental Legal Studies
- Aravella Simotas - Member of the New York State Assembly
The campus is located on a portion of the American Revolutionary War Battle of White Plains. The campus was originally the College of White Plains, originally Good Counsel College, for women founded by the Sisters of the Divine Compassion. Evan Oppenheimer's film Alchemy (film) was filmed on Pace Law School's campus.
- Pace Law School Official ABA Data
- Law.com - N.Y. Law Schools Experience Slight Decline in Bar Pass Rates
- "ABA Employment Summary" (PDF).
- New York State Unified Court System New York's Judicial Institute Is a National First
- Karas, Tania (2013-04-09). "Pace Graduates Sign Up for 'Low Bono' Counseling Model". Newyorklawjournal.com. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- "Pace University Profile".
- "Tuition and Fees".
- "Pace University Profile".
- "Pace University | Best Law School | US News". Grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com. 2011-08-01. Retrieved 2012-06-27.
- "Best Law School Rankings | Law Program Rankings | US News". Grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- US News and World Report Law Specialties: Environmental Law
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.