|Born||November 28, 1964|
|Alma mater||Providence College '87|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
|Tournaments||Big East: 9–9
America East: 11–12
|Accomplishments and honors|
|Big East: 1995
Big East American Division: 1996
Big East Tournament: 1992
America East: 2002
America East Tournament: 2002, 2005
Patriot League: 2011
Patriot League Tournament: 2011
|Big East Coach of the Year: 1995
America East Coach of the Year: 1997, 2001
Patriot League Coach of the Year: 2011
New England Coach of the Year: 1995
ABCA Northeast Region Coach of the Year: 1992, 1995
Paul Kostacopoulos (born November 28, 1964) is an American college baseball coach. He has been the head coach of the Navy Midshipmen since the start of the 2006 season. Prior to Navy, he was the head coach at both Maine and Providence. With the three programs, Kostacopoulos has appeared in a total of five NCAA Tournaments.
Kostacopoulos played college baseball at Providence from 1984–1987.
After two seasons as an assistant at Providence, Kostacopoulos became the head coach for the start of the 1990 season. Kostacopoulos's first postseason appearance came in the 1991 Big East Tournament. Providence then won the tournament in 1992 to advance to the 1992 NCAA Tournament, where it went 1–2 and won its second-round game against South Alabama. In 1995, Providence won the Big East regular season title and received an at-large bid to the 1995 NCAA Tournament, where it went 0–2. Kostacopoulos was named the 1995 Big East Coach of the Year, New England Coach of the Year, and ABCA Northeast Region Coach of the Year.
Three future Major League Baseball players played under Kostacopoulos at Providence. Lou Merloni (1990–1993) was named conference co-Rookie of the Year in 1990 and conference Player of the Year in 1993. John McDonald (1995–1996) and Keith Reed (1996) also played under Kostacopoulos.
Kostacopoulos left Providence to become the head coach of Maine for the start of the 1997 season. He replaced John Winkin, under whom Maine had appeared in six College World Series. In his first four seasons as head coach (1997–2000), Maine finished higher than fourth in the America East only once. In his last five (2001–2005), the team did not finish lower than second and qualified for two NCAA Tournaments (2002 and 2005) by winning the America East Tournament in those seasons.
Kostacopoulos was hired as the head coach of Navy for the start of the 2006 season. As of the end of the 2013 season, Navy has appeared in one NCAA Tournament under Kostacopoulos. The appearance came in 2011, when Navy won both the Patriot League regular season and tournament championships. He was named the 2011 and 2015 Patriot League Coach of the Year.
Head coaching record
|Providence Friars (Big East Conference) (1990–1996)|
|1991||Providence||35–16||12–8||t-2nd||Big East Tournament|
|1994||Providence||32–21||13–8||2nd||Big East Tournament|
|1996||Providence||32–17–1||15–10||t-1st (American)||Big East Tournament|
|Maine Black Bears (America East Conference) (1997–2005)|
|1997||Maine||24–27||16–8||2nd||America East Tournament|
|1999||Maine||28–28||14–14||t-4th||America East Tournament|
|2001||Maine||26–15||20–8||2nd||America East Tournament|
|2003||Maine||38–18||17–7||2nd||America East Tournament|
|2004||Maine||34–21||14–7||t-2nd||America East Tournament|
|Navy Midshipmen (Patriot League) (2006–present)|
|2008||Navy||32–25–1||11–9||t-2nd||Patriot League Tournament|
|2012||Navy||23–29||9–11||3rd||Patriot League Tournament|
|2013||Navy||28–23||13–7||2nd||Patriot League Tournament|
|2014||Navy||23–28||9–11||4th||Patriot League Tournament|
National champion Postseason invitational champion
- "2013 Big East Conference Baseball Media Guide". BigEast.org. Big East Conference. Archived from the original on June 15, 2013. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- Warner, Pete (August 16, 1996). "Kostacopoulos Gets UM Baseball Job". Bangor Daily News. Bangor, ME, USA. pp. C1, C3. Archived from the original on June 15, 2013. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- "Providence College Baseball Players Who Made It to the Major Leagues". Baseball-Almanac.com. Archived from the original on June 15, 2013. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- "Former UMaine Coach John Winkin to Be Inducted into College Baseball Hall of Fame". BangorDailyNews.com. April 11, 2013. Archived from the original on June 15, 2013. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- "2013 America East Conference Baseball Record Book". AmericaEast.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 15, 2013. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- Lauzon, Jerry (May 26, 2002). "Maine's Comeback Complete". Maine Sunday Telegram. p. 1D. Archived from the original on June 6, 2013. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "Vermont Falls to Maine 6–5 in Title Game". TimesArgus.com. Barre-Montpelier Times-Argus. May 29, 2005. Archived from the original on May 25, 2013. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- Furlong, Jim (June 6, 2011). "Naval Academy Coach Fondly Recalls His Roots in Middletown". Middletown Patch. Archived from the original on June 15, 2013. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- Farnum, Amy (May 27, 2011). "Navy's Road Back to the Top". NCAA.com. Archived from the original on June 15, 2013. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- "2013 Patriot League Baseball Record Book". Patriot League. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 15, 2013. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- "2013 Patriot League Baseball Standings". D1Baseball.com. Jeremy and Cynthia Mills. Archived from the original on June 15, 2013. Retrieved June 15, 2013.