Pedophile press is the set of print publications aimed specifically at pedophiles. It can provide news, essays and information about pedophilia and childhood, but also erotic contents.
The first known publication devoted exclusively to pedophilia was the scholary journal International Journal of Greek Love, edited in the USA between January 1965 and November 1966 by the famous numismatist Walter H. Breen. According to the blurb inside the journal, IJGL was a "quarterly devoted to literary, historical, sociological, psychological and related studies centered around the phenomenon of Greek love, defined as the love between man and adolescent boy." Despite its small circulation, the IJGL managed to have a considerable impact on gay and lesbian scholarship. As expected, the best researched articles are those that have been most quoted. Jonathan Drake's article on boy prostitution in Turkey remains one of the most cited sources for homosexuality in this country, while Hammond's article on Paidikion, an anonymous 570 page pederasty manuscript ostensibly written by Kenneth Searight c. 1917, and Bradley's survey of lesbian "Greek Love", are two other contributions that have been discussed.
Between the late 1970s and early 1980s, in countries like Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden and the United States, taking advantage of a loophole that allowed the distribution of child pornography, were published some legal child porn magazines as such Lolita, Piccolo, Boy and others. In some cases, commercial producers such as Color Climax Corporation took over its distribution. In the US were produced magazines such as Nudist Moppets, which showed naked children three to twelve, and Lollitots, which showed naked girls eight to fourteen years old. The USA made illegal in 1977 using children for pornography, however, some of those magazines had never involved any kind of sex act in the first place. Commercial child pornography ceased in Denmark in 1980 when Danish laws against it were passed. The last child pornography magazines out of the Netherlands appeared in 1982.
In 1979 appeared the first issue of Pan: A Magazine About Boy-Love, an international non-pornographic magazine about pedophilia published in English in Amsterdam by Spartacus, containing articles, photos of kids (within nudes) and other content of interest for pedophiles. In total were published 21 issues, until December 1985. Experts on pedophilia as Frits Bernard and Edward Brongersma collaborated regularly.
During the 1980s, in parallel with the newsletters of the various pedophile associations, many magazines are published more or less connected with pedophile activism as such Palestra (1985) or Gaie France (1986–1993), gay magazine close to the French New Right, founded by Michel Caignet. Also was published a large number of photographic journals: Backside (1983–1985), Beach Boys (1985–1986), Eklat (1985) and Photokid (1986).
In 1987 was launched in Netherland Paidika: The Journal of Paedophilia, a scholarly journal which took a positive scholarly approach towards the study of pedophilia. From the beginning, Paidika differentiated from other pedophilia-related publications. It had a professional layout and an impressive editorial board which reviewed the submissions to the journal. During its nine years of publication, Paidika managed to remain faithful to Bullough's (1990, 320) observation and publish a great number of well researched scholarly articles. D.H. Mader's study of pederasty in the Bible and Robert Bauserman's cross-cultural study of "boylove" are two much quoted pieces. Moreover, what we know about pedophiles like Karol Szymanowski and Jacques d'Adelsward-Fersen are through articles published in Paidika. The journal was often attacked and discredited as a "pedophile magazine". The fact that it had an activist aspect allowed many people to downplay the importance of research published in the journal. Bullough and others were attacked for being in its editorial board, while Laura Schlessinger and other tried to discredit academics that have published or given interviews in Paidika, like Bruce Rind, Robert Bauserman and Ralph Underwager.
In 1993, the Amikejo Foundation of Netherlands published the first issue of Koinos, a bilingual magazine in English and German about the beauty of male adolescents. It contains articles on art and politics, academic essays, interviews, reviews of books and films, stories and photos of boys, with contributions from several professional photographers. Its name refers to the Koine Greek, the common standard dialect used during the Hellenistic period. It is published every four months and can be purchased through international order and a limited number of distributors in the Netherlands and Germany.
Between 2006 and 2010, the Swedish Karl Andersson edited Destroyer, a gay magazine focused exclusively on boys and younger men. The magazine, containing features, photos, essays, interviews, reviews, columns, culture articles and fiction, was printed and officially published in the Czech Republic, but distributed globally through its website. It has received a lot of criticism from the media and child-protection professionals for allegedly "sexualising" children, but Andersson has been quick to defend his publication and gives interviews to argue against his critics.
Journals by countries
This is a partial list of publications aimed specifically at pedophiles. Includes both scholarly journals and general information as erotic magazines published legally in some countries since the late 1960s to early 1980s:
- Destroyer (I Love Mags), 2006–10; 10 issues. Gay magazine. ISSN 1801-8203
- Martin (Entis Verlag), 1990s. Photographic magazine.
- Boy (COQ). Erotic magazine.
- Piccolo (COQ). Erotic magazine.
- Uncle Jose (COQ). Erotic magazine.
- Backside (Harold Giroux), 1981-86. Photographic magazine. ISSN 0755-1878.
- Beach Boys, 1985-86. Photographic magazine.
- Eklat, 1985. Photographic magazine.
- Gaie France, 1986-1993. Culture magazine.
- Jean's, 1985. Photographic magazine.
- Palestra, 1985. Culture magazine.
- Photokid, 1986. Photographic magazine.
- Indian National Man Boy Congress Party publishes the Man Boy Congress 'Sandesh'.
- KALOS On Greek Love, spring 1976; one issue only. Scholary magazine.
- Koinos (Amikejo Foundation), 1993–present.
- Lolita magazine, 1970-1984. Erotic magazine.
- Nicks, 1977-1982.
- Paidika: The Journal of Paedophilia (Stichting Paidika Foundation), 1987–1995; 12 issues. ISSN 0167-5907. Scholary magazine.
- Pan: A Magazine About Boy-Love (later Paedo Alert News) (Spartacus), 1979–1985; 21 issues. ISSN 0167-4749.
- Boy Art Magazine. Photographic magazine.
- Chicken. Erotic magazine.
- International Journal of Greek Love (Oliver Layton Press), 1965–66; 2 issues. Scholarly magazine.
- Nudist Moppets. Photographic magazine (nudes).
Many of the numerous pedophile associations emerged from the 1960s published their own newsletters. The most durable is the NAMBLA Bulletin of NAMBLA, published since 1980 to present. This is a partial list of newsletters from various European and American pedophile associations:
- Rockspider (Australian Paedophile Support Group).
- Ny Sexualpolitik (Danish Pedophile Association).
- Le Petit Gredin (Groupe de Recherche pour une Enfance Différente), 1981–87; 10 issues.
- L'Espoir (Centre de Recherche et d'Information sur l'Enfance et la Sexualité), 1983-86.
- Befreite Beziehung (later Die Zeitung) (Deutsche Studien und Arbeitsgemeinschaft Pädophilie), 12 issues.
- Zeitschrift für die Emanzipation der Pädophilie (Krumme 13), 1993–1996; 5 issues.
- Indian National Man Boy Congress Party published the National Man Boy Congress Herald. Defunct since 2008
- Corriere dei pedofili (Gruppo P), ?-?
- Magpie (Paedophile Information Exchange), 1977–1980; 17 issues.
- Understanding Paedophilia (Paedophile Information Exchange), 1976-77.
- Childhood Rights (Paedophile Information Exchange), 1977-?
- Gayme Magazine (NAMBLA).
- NAMBLA Bulletin ISBN 9780815318804.
- Alice Lovers Magazine Electronic magazine published by a pedophile bulletin board of the same name.
- Norton, Rictor; Crew, Louie. "The homophobic imagination: an editorial". College English, Vol. XXXVI, nr. 3 (November 1974), pp. 272-290.
- Drake, Jonathan. "'Le Vice' in Turkey". International Journal of Greek Love. Oliver Layton Press, Vol. I, nr. 2 (November 1966), pp. 13-27
- Hammond, Toby. "Paidikion: A paiderastic manuscript". International Journal of Greek Love. Oliver Layton Press, Vol. I, nr. 2 (November 1966), pp. 28-37; see pt:Paidikion
- Aldrich, Robert. Colonialism and homosexuality. New York: Routledge, 2003, pp. 280-281.
- Bradley, Marion. "Feminine Equivalents of Greek Love in Modern Fiction". International Journal of Greek Love. Oliver Layton Press, Vol. I, nr. 1, 1965, pp. 48-58.
- Howitt, Dennis; Kerry, Sheldon. Sex Offenders and the Internet. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2007, p. 75. ISBN 0470028009.
- Santiago, Pablo. Alicia en el lado oscuro (Spanish). Madrid: Imagine, 2004, p. 335. ISBN 84-95882-46-9.
- Jenkins, Philip. Beyond Tolerance: Child Pornography on the Internet. New York: NYU Press, 2001, pp. 31-32. ISBN 0-8147-4263-7.
- títol=The Aftermath of the Great Kiddy-Porn Panic of '77.
- Califia, Pat. Public sex: The culture of radical sex. Berkeley: Cleis Press, 1994.
- Sommaire. Palestra, 1985. (French)
- Marceau, Willy. "Backside". Le Petit Gredin, GRED, nr. 6, spring 1985. (French)
- Bullough, Vern L. "Review of Paidika: The Journal of Paedophilia". Journal of Homosexuality, Vol. XX, nr. 1/2, 1990, pp. 319-320.
- Mader, Donald. "The Entimos Pais of Matthew 8:5-13 and Luke 7:1-10". Paidika: The Journal of Paedophilia, Vol. I, nr. 1, sommer 1987, pp. 27-39. ISSN 0167-5907.
- Bauserman, Robert. "Man-Boy Sexual Relationships in a Cross-Cultural Perspective". Paidika: The Journal of Paedophilia, Vol. II, nr. 1, sommer 1989, pp. 28-40. ISSN 0167-5907.
- Kennedy, Hubert. "Karol Szymanowski: His Boy-Love Novel, and the Boy He Loved". Paidika: The Journal of Paedophilia, Vol. III, nr. 3, winter 1994, pp. 26-33. ISSN 0167-5907.
- H. L., Will. "A Shrine to Love and Sorrow: Jacques d'Adelswärd Fersen (1880-1923)". Paidika: The Journal of Paedophilia, Vol. III, nr. 2, winter 1994, pp. 30-58. ISSN 0167-5907.
- Dallam, S. J. "Science or Propaganda? An Examination of Rind, Tromovitch and Bauserman". Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, Vol. IX, nr. 3/4, 2002, pp. 109-134.
- Salter, Anna. Predators: Pedophiles, Rapists, And Other Sex Offenders. New York: Basic Books, 2004, p. 64. ISBN 0-465-07173-2
- Whitfield, Charles; Silberg, Joyanna. Misinformation concerning child sexual abuse and adult survivors. New York: Routledge, 2002, p. 124. ISBN 0-7890-1901-9.
- Lilienfeld, Scott O. "When Worlds Collide: Social Science, Politics, and the Rind et al. (1998) Child Sexual Abuse Meta-Analysis". American Psychologist, Vol. III, nr. 57, 1998, pp. 176-188.
- Radical Reconsideration of the Concept of Child Sexual Abuse. IPCE.
- Youthful Sexual Experience and Well-being. IPCE
- Destroyer, official website. I love mags.
- Andersson, Karl. Gay Man's Worst Friend - the Story of Destroyer Magazine. Entartetes Leben, 2011. ISBN 91-633-6899-4.
- The Beautiful Boy, The Destroyer: Sexradikalers förhandlingar om tidskriften Destroyer – en intervjustudie om anständiga bögar, fula gubbar och sexualiserade barn. University of Stockholm. (Swedish)
- Illegal and legal child porn magazines, Archive.Childerotica.net
- "Livres et revues" (French). Le Petit Gredin, GRED, nr. 6, spring 1985.
- Kalra, G; Gupta, S; Bhugra, D (2010). "Sexual variation in India: A view from the west". Indian J Psychiatry. 52: S264–8. PMC . PMID 21836691. doi:10.4103/0019-5545.69244.
- Bahroo, Bhagwan A (2003). "PEDOPHILIA". Family Court Review. 41 (4): 497–507. doi:10.1111/j.174-1617.2003.tb00910.x.
- Publications, Martijn.org (in anglese)
- Lolita magazine, Webster's Online Dictionary
- Duraz, Serge. "En Allemagne" (French). Le Petit Gredin, GRED, nr. 3, sommer 1983.
- Gangrade KD, Sooryamoorthy R, Renjini D. Soc. Change 1995; 25(2-3) 161-176.
- Shahani, Parmesh. Gay Bombay: globalization, love and (be) longing in contemporary India. SAGE Publications India, 2008.
- Bhave, Swati Y.; Saxena, Anjali (2013). "Child Sexual Abuse in India". Child Abuse and Neglect Challenges and Opportunities.
- "Il " gruppo P " reclutava i bambini" (in Italian). Corriere della Sera, 15-7-1993.
- Before the electronic Newsletter, Ipce published a paper newsletter, which documented information about group meetings they had in the pre-digital period. Sources: Ipce, BoyWiki article.
- O'Carroll, Tom. "The Beginnings of Radical Paedophilia in Britain". In: Paedophilia: The Radical Case. London: Peter Owen, 1980. ISBN 0-7206-0546-6
- Memorandum and Order on Motions to Dismiss. United States District Court, 31-3-2003.
- Haggerty, George E. Gay histories and cultures: an encyclopedia. London: Taylor & Francis, 2000.