The Philadelphia Arrows were a professional ice hockey team that played in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Founded in 1927, the club was Philadelphia's first professional hockey team and played in the Canadian-American Hockey League. The team changed its name to the Philadelphia Ramblers beginning with the 1935-36 season when it became affiliated with the NHL New York Rangers. The following season and Ramblers and the C-AHL began playing an interlocking schedule with the International Hockey League for two seasons before the two circuits formally merged to form a new International American Hockey League (renamed the American Hockey League in 1940) in June, 1938. (The Ramblers continued to play in this league until folding in 1941.)
The Arrows'/Ramblers' coach and manager from 1929 to 1941 was Hall of Fame defenseman and Hart Trophy winner Herb Gardiner. Members of the Arrows included future Hart Trophy winner Tommy Anderson, and future Chicago Black Hawk defenseman Art Coulter.
When the NHL Pittsburgh Pirates hockey team moved to Philadelphia in 1930 as the Philadelphia Quakers, they lasted only one season due in part to the fact that the Arrows out-drew them in attendance as well as the NHL club's poor performance on the ice winning just four games (4-36-4) of their 44 game schedule.
The Arrows, like the Ramblers, played at the Philadelphia Arena.
- Arrows entry in A-Z Encyclopedia of Ice Hockey
- Arrows history
- "A Brief History of The American Hockey League & Minor League Pro Hockey in Philadelphia: 1927 - 2005"
|This American ice hockey team-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This article related to sports in Philadelphia is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This article about a sports team in Pennsylvania is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
- Defunct ice hockey teams in the United States
- Defunct sports teams in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Canadian-American Hockey League teams
- Boston Bruins minor league affiliates
- New York Rangers minor league affiliates
- United States ice hockey team stubs
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania sport stubs
- Pennsylvania sports team stubs