Pine Grove Covered Bridge
|Pine Grove Covered Bridge|
|Coordinates||Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Crosses||East Branch of Octoraro Creek|
|Locale||Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Design||Two span, double Burr arch truss|
|Total length||204 feet (62.2 m)|
|Width||15 feet (4.6 m)|
|Constructed by||Elias McMellen|
The Pine Grove Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the East Branch of Octoraro Creek on the border between Lancaster County and Chester County in Pennsylvania, United States. It is the longest covered bridge in Lancaster County.
The bridge has a two-span, wooden, double Burr arch truss design with the addition of steel hanger rods. It is the only two-span covered bridge still in use. The other two-span bridge, Herr's Mill Covered Bridge, is located on private property. The bridge's deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges on the outside, but is not painted on the inside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color.
The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-15-22/38-36-41. Added in 1980, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as structure number 80003521. It is located at Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found. (39.7935, -76.04433).
The bridge was built in 1884 by Elias McMellen.
- Length: 198 feet (60.4 m) or 204 feet (62.2 m) total length. Note:
- Width: 15 feet (4.6 m) total width
Nearby covered bridges
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
- White Rock Forge Covered Bridge, about 4.4 miles (7.1 km) northwest on White Rock Road, via Asheville and King Pen Roads.
- Burr arch truss
- List of bridges documented by the Historic American Engineering Record in Pennsylvania
- List of Lancaster County covered bridges
- McCain, Dr. Roger A. "Pine Grove Bridge". A Guide to Old Covered Bridges of Southeastern Pennsylvania and nearby areas. Retrieved 2006-08-03.
- "Pine Grove Covered Bridge". Lancaster County Pennsylvania Dutch Country Official Visitors Center. Pennsylvania Dutch Convention & Visitors Bureau. 2006. Retrieved 2006-07-07.
- "The Covered Bridges of Lancaster County". Lancaster County, PA Government Portal. County of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. 2001-11-09. Retrieved 2006-07-07.