Pope Pius XII Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary
Pope Pius XII Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary took place on October 31, 1942 just before major turning points in World War II. Pope Pius XII performed a Marian consecration, entrusting not only the Catholic Church but the whole human race to the Virgin Mary, doing so as “Father of Christianity” as the representative of Christ, who has all power in heaven and on earth”, referring to Matthew 28:18.
This consecration was made in the context of the reported messages received directly from Jesus and Virgin Mary by Blessed Alexandrina of Balazar, in Portugal, and communicated to her spiritual director, Father Mariano Pinho. The Holy See recognized the relation of Alexandrina Maria da Costa with the act of the World Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary in an article about her life and virtues.
Pope Pius XII's motto for his pontificate was Opus Justitiae Pax, meaning "Peace is the work of justice" which according to author Rodger Charles reflected his interest in world affairs beyond the Church. In June 1938, based on the request of Father Mariano Pinho, a jesuit priest, several bishops from Portugal wrote to Pope Pius XI, asking him to consecrate the world to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, based on the reported messages received directly from Jesus and Virgin Mary by Alexandrina Maria da Costa, a mystic from Balazar and member of the Association of Salesian Cooperators. This request was renewed several times until 1941, in which the Holy See asked three times more information about Alexandrina to the Achbishop of Braga. At that time, Cardinal Eugenio Pacelli (later Pope Pius XII) was the secretary of the state of the Vatican, and he later performed the consecration of the world.
The world consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary was pronounced at a critical phase of World War II at the end of October 1942. At that time, German troops under General Rommel had conquered strategic parts of North Africa while advancing towards the Suez Canal and in Russia fighting continued against an expanding German invasion. On October 31, 1942 Pius XII called for a prayer crusade to Mary the Queen of Peace, and stated that only her intercession could save the situation. He then dedicated the whole human race to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. He renewed the consecration again on December 8, 1942.
- Peace in truth, justice and the charity of Christ. Give them peace of the arms and peace of mind he asked from the “Conqueress in God’s battlefields”
Supporters of Pope Pius and his Marian views point out, that indeed the battlefield situation improved markedly for the allies. Shortly afterwards, in the battle of El Alamein, British forces achieved a major break through. According to Winston Churchill, not known as a Marian devotee, one can almost say, before El Alamein, we did not have a single victory, and after not a single defeat. In the Pacific, the Japanese defenders were decisively beaten during the Guadalcanal Campaign, as part of the larger land and sea battles in the Solomon Islands Campaign, with a few days after the consecration. The downfall of Stalingrad began a few days later as well with the encirclement November 19, 1942. Stalingrad surrendered on the Marian feast day, February 2, 1943. This view is not shared by everyone but popular among Marian devotees of Pope Pius XII.,
The noted Mariologist Gabriel Roschini called the 1942 consecration of the human race to the Immaculate Heart of Mary the greatest honour, which anyone can imagine. It is the highest manifestation of the Marian cult.  It opens new perspectives for salvation history. He and others see the consecration as a new “Marian way”, a new definition of what human means between the collectivism and unlimited liberalism. The consecration to Mary by Pope Pius means “that an age of the Church” had begun: Through Mary we understand the super-natural destiny of mankind and every human being.
Relation to Balazar
The act of consecration
|A series of articles on|
|Dogmas and doctrines|
|Expressions of devotion|
|Key Marian apparitions|
|Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary|
- Alliance of the Hearts of Jesus and Mary
- Consecration and entrustment to Mary
- Consecration of Russia
- Our Lady of Fátima
- Mary's Immaculate Heart by John F. Murphy 2007 ISBN 1-4067-3409-8 pages 96-103
- Alexandrina of Portugal and the Consecration by Rev. Fr. Fabrice Delestre, in Fátima Network.
- The first consecration of the world to the Immaculate Heart of Mary by José Ferreira
- For Love Alone! by COSTA, Alexandrina Maria (organized by Eugénie Signorile and translated into English by Leo Baron Madigan of Lumiar)
- Official Vatican Statement releasing the life of Blessed Alexandrina of Balazar and her relation with the World Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- Christian social witness and teaching, Volume 2 by Rodger Charles 1998 ISBN 0-85244-461-3 pages 104-106
- Totus tuus: John Paul II's program of Marian consecration and entrustment by Msgr Arthur Burton Calkins 1992 ISBN 0-9635345-0-5 page 97
- Winston Churchill War memoirs, Volume IV, 2
- J Zeitler, die Marien Welt-Weihe eine dogmatisch zeitgeschichtliche schau, Kaldenkirchen, 1956,
- Johannes Maria Höcht, der große Ruf, München, 1956
- Johannes Maria Höcht Fatima Pius XII Wiesbaden, 1956
- Quoted in Höchst, 265.
- Zeitler, 93