Education encompasses teaching
, and also something less tangible but more profound: the imparting of knowledge
, good judgement
. Education has as one of its fundamental goals the imparting of culture
from generation to generation (see socialization
). Education is 'to draw out'. This means facilitating realisation of self-potential and latent talents of an individual.
The education of an individual human begins after birth and continues throughout life. Some believe that education begins even before birth, as evidenced by some parents' playing music or reading to the baby in the womb in the hope it will influence the child's development. For some, the struggles and triumphs of daily life provide far more instruction than does formal schooling (thus Mark Twain's admonition to "never let school interfere with your education"). Family members may have a profound educational effect — often more profound than they realize — though family teaching may function very informally; but formality only proves the education outside the family that is also being taught.
is a broad term used to describe education
about human sexual anatomy
, sexual reproduction
, sexual intercourse
, and other aspects of human sexual behavior
Education about reproduction typically describes the creation and development of a new human being, from conception and the development of the embryo and fetus, through to childbirth. It often includes topics such as sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and how to avoid them, as well as birth control methods.
Although some form of sex education is part of the curriculum at many schools, it remains a controversial issue in several countries, particularly with regard to the age at which children should start receiving such education, the amount of detail which is revealed, and topics dealing with human sexuality and behavior, such as safe sex practices and masturbation, and sexual ethics.
The existence of AIDS has given a new sense of urgency to the topic of sex education. In many nations, where AIDS is at epidemic levels, sex education is seen by most scientists as a vital public health strategy.
Latest education Wikinews
Join the Education WikiProject - Help work on the tasks list
Education WikiProject and Portal
Here are some Education
related tasks you can do
- Focus (top priority) articles: Education, School, Pedagogy, Learning, Lifelong learning, Public school
- Refine/polish to FA status: Critical thinking, John Dewey, Educational animation, Educational psychology
- Cleanup/Copyedit: Constructivism (learning theory), Distance education, Early childhood education, Philosophy of education, Physical education, Neil Postman, E-Learning, More...
- Collaborate: Coordinate with m:Wikiversity (on Meta; also on Wikibooks), Coordinate at the Wikipedia:Education noticeboard based upon Wikipedia:Student assignments, More...
- Expand: Princess Nora bint Abdul Rahman University, Queer Pedagogy, Educational software, Educational technology, Glossary of education-related terms (A-C), Higher education, Instructional theory, Learning theory (education), Nursery school (redirect from "Preschool"), Situated learning, Vocational education, Paulo Freire, Friedrich Fröbel, Donald Schön, Lev Vygotsky, Etienne Wenger, Rhodes University, More...
- Expert attention: Knowledge Cafe, LogoVisual thinking, Whole language, Reading comprehension, Learning to read,
- Merge/Split: Edutainment, Four stages of competence, Intellectual giftedness, Hebbian theory, More...
- NPOV: Applied behavior analysis, Bullying, Charter school, Collegiate Network, Direct instruction, Education reform, Gregg Harris, Medomak Camp, Theory of multiple intelligences, Youth subculture, More...
- Requests: Puerto Rico Schools for the 21st Century,12 California Association of Student Leaders, Test-taking strategies, More...
- Stubs: Educational research, Mature student, Psychology of learning (merge?), More...
- Verify: Add sources to Unreferenced BLPs
- Wikify: E-mentoring, MLearning, Community podcast, Basic writing, Interprofessional education More...
- Other issues: Experiential education
- Note: These articles may overlap with those on Alternative education or other related lists. If you would like to make a change, either do so yourself, or make a suggestion.
The following Wikimedia
sister projects provide more on this subject: