Miami (// or //) is a major American city located on the Atlantic coast of southeastern Florida, in the United States. Miami is the county seat of Miami-Dade County, also the most populous county in Florida. Miami is a principal city and anchor to the South Florida metropolitan area, which had a 2006 population of 5,463,857; ranking 7th largest in the nation. The Miami Urbanized Area (as defined by the Census Bureau) was the fifth most populous urbanized area in the U.S. in the 2000 census with a population of 4,919,036. The United Nations estimated that in 2007, Miami had become the fourth largest urbanized area in the United States, trailing only by those of New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago.
Miami is a well-known global city because of its importance in finance, commerce, culture, fashion, print media, entertainment, the arts and international trade. An international center for popular entertainment in television, music, fashion, film, and the performing arts, Miami also has a powerful international influence. The city can also be applauded for being home to the largest concentration of international banks in the United States, as well as home to many international company headquarters, and television studios. The city's Port of Miami is the number one cruise/passenger port in the world and is known for accommodating the largest volume of cruise ships in the world, and is home to many major cruise line headquarters. Template:/box-footer
- Miami is an international center for popular entertainment in television, music, fashion, film, and the performing arts
- Miami holds the distinction of being the only major city in the United States founded by a woman
- The city is also home to the largest concentration of international banks in the United States
- The city's Port of Miami is the number one cruise/passenger port in the world
- Miami and its metropolitan area grew from just over one thousand residents to nearly five and a half million residents in just 110 years (1896-2006)
- Miami's skyline is ranked third most impressive in the U.S., behind New York City and Chicago
- Miami is the only major city in the United States bordered by two national parks (This is actually false, as Miami does not border Everglades National Park.)
|If you are interested in contributing more to Miami related articles you may want to join WikiProject Miami.