Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT) is an American public multinational corporation headquartered in Redmond, Washington, USA that develops, manufactures, licenses, and supports a wide range of products and services predominantly related to computing through its various product divisions.
Its most profitable products are Microsoft Office, which has come to dominate the commercial office suite market, and the Microsoft Windows operating system, which has achieved near ubiquity in the desktop computer market. The company has also diversified in recent years into the video game industry with the Xbox, its successor, the Xbox 360 and most recently the Xbox One as well as into the consumer electronics and digital services market with Bing, MSN and the Windows Phone OS.
- "Microsoft, the Most Admired Company in the World". The New York Times. Retrieved May 4, 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Microsoft tops consumer brand polls". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 4, 2013. zero width space character in
|url=at position 42 (help)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- September 30: Microsoft announces the Windows Insider program which allows users to test Windows 10 and provide feedback to Microsoft. Currently their are over 5 million Insiders.
- January 21: HoloLens, the world's first holographic headset is announced and Microsoft announces that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for customers with Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows Phone 8.1 (excluding enterprise).
- April 29: Microsoft holds their annual developer conference in San Francisco. Some highlights of the event include the name of the Windows 10 browser is announced (Microsoft Edge), iOS and Android (operating system) apps will work with Windows 10 and Continuum, a new feature that allows you to use your phone as a full PC when paired with a mouse, keyboard and monitor.
- May 5: Microsoft launches the Surface 3
- July 29: Windows 10 is launched in 190 countries
- October 6: Microsoft announces the Surface Pro 4, Surface Book, Lumia 950, Lumia 950 XL and Band 2.
- October 15: Skype introduces a new feature that allows video calls without an account
- October 26: The flagship Microsoft Store opens in New York City
- ... that Windows XP's default Bliss wallpaper was taken north of San Francisco in 1996?
- ... that Microsoft's revenues on Microsoft Office are in the range of $250 million USD a week?
- ... that Turing Award winner and long-time Microsoft Research technical fellow Jim Gray was lost at sea during a solo sailing trip?
- ... that Robert Fripp, founding member of King Crimson, helped create the system sounds for Windows Vista?
- ... that brand consultancy Millward Brown Optimor reported in 2006 that "Microsoft" is the most powerful brand name in the world?
- Age of Empires (video game)
- Paul Allen
- Blue Dragon
- Braid (video game)
- Characters of Halo
- Bill Gates
- Halo (megastructure)
- Halo (series)
- Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn
- History of Microsoft
- I Love Bees
- Jason Jones (programmer)
- Microsoft vs. MikeRoweSoft
- Bob Muglia
- Rare (company)
- WE (firm)
- Windows 10
- Windows Mobile
- Windows RT
- Windows Server 2012
- Xbox One
Template:/box-header This portal is about all things Microsoft, from its history to its products to its criticism.
This portal is not an advertisement for Microsoft; it simply summarizes various encyclopedic NPOV (neutral point of view) articles related to Microsoft. Please remove any blatant advertising for Microsoft (or any other individual or company for that matter) in accordance with Wikipedia's policy on advertising.
- Find an image for the current selected article that isn't copyrighted and can be used on this portal page.
- Find an image that is publicly licensed and can be displayed on this portal's selected image box.
- Ensure NPOV on all articles related to this portal.
- Add news content to the News box.
- Design an icon for this portal.
WikiProject Microsoft is a group of editors who are willing to improve Wikipedia's coverage of Microsoft Corporation, its technologies, web properties & its people. This WikiProject is brand new and is welcoming editors to help out. Template:/box-footer