Prime Minister of Abkhazia
|Prime Minister of the Republic of Abkhazia|
|Inaugural holder||Gennady Gagulia|
|Formation||26 November 1994|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
While the Presidency was filled by one man – Vladislav Ardzinba – from 1994 to 2005, the position of Prime Minister changed hands a number of times during that time. It was created with the November 1994 adoption of the Constitution of Abkhazia, although Gennady Gagulia became the first Prime Minister only in January 1995.
After Sergei Bagapsh succeeded Ardzinba to the Presidency in February 2005, he appointed Alexander Ankvab as Prime Minister. Ankvab was Bagapsh's Vice Presidential candidate in the 12 December 2009 presidential election, and as required by law, he was officially suspended from his post on 11 November and his duties were carried out by First Vice Premier Leonid Lakerbaia. Bagapsh and Ankvab won the election, and on 13 February 2010, Ankvab was succeeded by long-time Minister for Foreign Affairs Sergei Shamba.
The election to succeed Alexander Ankvab as President was won by opposition leader Raul Khajimba, who on 29 September 2014 appointed Beslan Butba as the new Prime Minister. However, there were rumors of Butba's resignation almost since the beginning of his term, explained variously by a power struggle between Butba and Khajimba and by Butba's supposed bad performance as Prime Minister. Butba was finally dismissed by President Khajimba on 16 March 2015, and temporarily replaced by First Vice Premier Shamil Adzynba. In a press conference afterwards, Butba said that he had made Khajimba aware of his intention to resign. He claimed that the Presidential Administration had taken over many of the responsibilities of the Prime Minister, creating a 'second government'. On 20 March, Khajimba appointed MP and former United Abkhazia Chairman Artur Mikvabia as Butba's successor.
List of Prime Ministers of Abkhazia
|№||Name||Took Office||Left Office||Party|
|January 1995||29 April 1997||Independent|
|2||Sergei Bagapsh||29 April 1997||December 1999||Independent|
|3||Viacheslav Tsugba||30 December 1999||30 May 2001||Independent|
|4||Anri Jergenia||7 June 2001||29 November 2002||Independent|
|29 November 2002||8 April 2003||Independent|
|6||Raul Khajimba||22 April 2003||6 October 2004||Independent|
|7||Nodar Khashba||6 October 2004||14 February 2005||United Abkhazia|
|8||Alexander Ankvab||14 February 2005||13 February 2010||Aitaira|
|9||Sergei Shamba||13 February 2010||27 September 2011||Social-Democratic Party of Abkhazia|
|10||Leonid Lakerbaia||27 September 2011||2 June 2014||Aitaira|
Acting Prime Minister
|2 June 2014||29 September 2014||Independent|
|11||Beslan Butba||29 September 2014||17 March 2015||Party for the Economic Development of Abkhazia|
Acting Prime Minister
|17 March 2015||20 March 2015||Independent|
|12||Artur Mikvabia||20 March 2015||Incumbent||United Abkhazia|
- Kuchuberia, Anzhela (2009-10-27). Багапш будет баллотироваться в президенты Абхазии в паре с Анквабом (in Russian). Caucasian Knot. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- Выпуск №545-546-547-548 (in Russian). Apsnypress. 2009-11-12. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- Выпуск №69-70 (in Russian). Apsnypress. 13 February 2010. Retrieved 13 February 2010.
- "Исполняющий обязанности президента Абхазии Валерий Бганба ознакомил членов Кабинета министров со своим первым указом". Apsnypress. 2 June 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Беслан Бутба назначен премьер-министром Республики Абхазия". Apsnypress. 29 September 2014. Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- Zavodskaya, Elena (16 March 2015). "Дождались". Echo of the Caucasus. Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- "Создано Министерство по курортам и туризму РА". Apsnypress. 16 March 2015. Retrieved 17 March 2015.
- "Артур Миквабия назначен премьер-министром Абхазии". Apsnypress. 20 March 2015. Retrieved 21 March 2015.