In film and television, a production designer or P.D is the person responsible for the overall look of a filmed event such as TV program, video game, music video or advertisement. Production designers have a key creative role in the creation of motion pictures and television. Working directly with the director and producer, they must select the settings and style to visually tell the story. The term "production designer" was coined by William Cameron Menzies while he was working on the film Gone with the Wind. Previously (and often subsequently) the people with the same responsibilities were called "art directors".
Societies and trade organizations
In the United States and Europe as well as Mexico, production designers are represented by IATSE local 800; the Art Directors Guild. The production design credit must be requested by the producer, prior to completion of photography, and submitted to the Art Directors Guild Board of Directors for the credit approval. In Canada, production designers are represented by the Director's Guild of Canada, except in British Columbia where they are represented by IATSE.
Noted production designers
- See Category:Production designers, Academy Award for Best Art Direction and Art Directors Guild Hall of Fame
- Cairns, David (March–April 2011). "The Dreams of a Creative Begetter". The Believer. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
Menzies was an art director, production designer (a title he invented himself), producer, and director, the man who created the look of Gone with the Wind, unifying the work of a posse of directors.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Preston, Ward (1994). What an Art Director Does. Silman-James Press. p. 150. ISBN 1-879505-18-5.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Barnwell, Jane (2004). Production Design: Architects of the Screen. FWallflower. ISBN 1-903364-55-8.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Block, Bruce (2001). The Visual Story: Seeing the Structure of Film, TV, and New Media. Focal Press. ISBN 0-240-80467-8.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Ede, Laurie N. (2010). British film design: a history. I.B.Tauris.ISBN 978-1-84-885108-5
- Hans-Jürgen Tast (ed.) ANTON WEBER (1904-1979) - Filmarchitekt bei der UFA (Schellerten 2005) ISBN 3-88842-030-X;
- Katz, Ephraim (2005). The Film Encyclopedia (5ed). Collins. ISBN 0-06-074214-3.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Art Directors Guild, IATSE Local 800 Union local representing Art Directors and Production Designers
- ADG Art Direction Wiki Online community and knowledge base relating to film design
- British Film Designers Guild
- The Austrian Filmdesigners Association (VÖF - Verband Österreichischer FilmausstatterInnen).
- Production Design Training Toi Whakaari: NZ Drama School
- Production Design training in Auckland NZ at Unitec Performing and Screen Arts