Queen's Personal Flag for New Zealand
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (August 2010)|
The Queen's Personal Flag for New Zealand is the personal flag of Queen Elizabeth II in her role as Queen of New Zealand. The flag was approved for use in 1962. It is used by the Queen only when she is in New Zealand or attending an event abroad in her role as head of state in New Zealand. The Queen's representative, the Governor-General of New Zealand has their own flag.
On 11 October 1962 the Queen announced the adoption of a special personal flag for use on her tour of New Zealand between 6–18 February 1963 and for use afterwards.
The flag is flown continuously on any building in which the Queen is in residence and by a ship transporting Her Majesty in New Zealand waters. It is also flown whilst the Queen is attending a state or public function, and it is to be seen above the saluting base at military parades and open air gatherings when Her Majesty is present. It is also broken when the Queen sets foot on board one of Her Majesty's New Zealand ships.
When flown with the New Zealand Flag, the Queen's Personal Flag for New Zealand takes the position of honour.
The only occasions on which the Queen's Personal Flag for New Zealand are flown in her absence are at parades in honour of Her Majesty's Official Birthday.
The flag is the banner of the arms of New Zealand defaced with the Queen's Royal Cypher. The flag is divided into four quadrants: The first quadrant includes depicts four stars as representative of the Southern Cross constellation, as depicted on the national flag. The second quadrant consists of a golden fleece on a red field. The third quadrant contains a golden wheat sheaf on a red field. The final quadrant includes two crossed gold hammers on a blue field.
The central stripe consists of three ships. Superimposed in the centre is a dark blue roundel bearing a Roman E surmounted by a Royal Crown within a chaplet of roses, all gold-coloured, obscuring the centre ship.
- Royal Standard (United Kingdom)- for a full list of all of Queen Elizabeth II's flags
- List of New Zealand flags
- Queen's Personal Australian Flag
- Queen's Personal Canadian Flag
- "Symbols And Ceremonies". Buckingham Palace. Retrieved 2006-07-23.
- "Personal Flag of HM The Queen of New Zealand". Flags of the World. Retrieved 2006-07-23.
- "The New Zealand Royal Standard". Encyclopedia of New Zealand (1966). Retrieved 2006-07-23.
- "Other New Zealand flags". Ministry for Culture and Heritage (New Zealand). Retrieved 2006-07-24.
- NZ History - Queen's Personal Flag For New Zealand