Quidditch Through the Ages
|Author||J. K. Rowling|
Quidditch Through the Ages is a 2001 book written by British author J. K. Rowling about Quidditch in the Harry Potter universe. It purports to be the Hogwarts library's copy of the non-fiction book of the same name mentioned in several novels of the Harry Potter series. Rowling's name does not appear on the cover of the book, the work being credited under the pseudonym "Kennilworthy Whisp".
The book benefits the charity Comic Relief. Over 80% of the cover price of each book sold goes directly to poor children in various places around the world. According to Comic Relief, sales from this book and its companion Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them have raised £17 million (nearly 18 million).
In 2001 Rowling penned two companion books to the Harry Potter series, Quidditch Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, for British charity and offshoot of Live Aid, Comic Relief with all of her royalties going to the charity. As of July 2008, the books combined are estimated to have earned over $30 million for Comic Relief. The two books have since been made available in hardcover.
- Chapter 1: The Evolution of the Flying Broomstick
- Chapter 2: Ancient Broom Games
- Chapter 3: The Game From Queerditch Marsh
- Chapter 4: The Arrival of the Golden Snitch
- Chapter 5: Anti-Muggle Precautions
- Chapter 6: Changes in Quidditch Since the Fourteenth Century
- Chapter 7: Quidditch Teams of Britain and Ireland
- Chapter 8: The Spread of Quidditch Worldwide
- Chapter 9: The Development of the Racing Broom
- Chapter 10: Quidditch Today
Within the fictional world of Harry Potter, Quidditch Through the Ages is written by Kennilworthy Whisp, a renowned Quidditch expert.
In both the fictional and real world it is the definitive handbook on the history and intricacies of the game. It also serves as a catalogue of the many British Quidditch teams. When Severus Snape caught Harry outside the school with this book in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, he invented the rule that no library books were allowed outside the school, and confiscated it.
In the Harry Potter universe, Kennilworthy Whisp is a Quidditch expert and fanatic who has written many books about the sport. He lives in Nottinghamshire, where he divides his time with "wherever the Wigtown Wanderers are playing this week." His hobbies include backgammon, vegetarian cookery, and collecting vintage broomsticks. The Firebolt is the best broomstick according to him.
- Quidditch Through the Ages on Harry Potter Wiki, an external wiki
- Interview with J. K. Rowling about her book Quidditch Through the Ages