Quizás, Quizás, Quizás
"Quizás, quizás, quizás" (also sometimes known simply as "Quizás"), is a popular song by Cuban songwriter Osvaldo Farrés. Farrés wrote the music and original Spanish lyrics for the song which became a hit for Bobby Capó in 1947. Farrés also received much help and inspiration for his lyrics from Cuban First Lady, Mary Tarrero-Serrano.
Notable cover versions
Notable cover versions include:
- 1949: The Gordon Jenkins version, with Tony Bavaar as vocalist, was recorded on August 12, 1949, and released by Decca Records as catalog number 24720.
- 1956: Lebanese singer Fairouz recorded a single version titled "Tourah تراه" in Arabic, it was one of her earlier adaptations of Western music that continued with her throughout her career.
- 1958: Nat King Cole regularly performed the song with a heavy American accent. His version appeared on his 1958 album Cole Español and frequently appeared in the 2000 film In the Mood for Love.
- 1960: The Ames Brothers with orchestra under the direction of Juan Esquivel recorded this song on the album Hello Amigos.
- 1964: The Doris Day version was recorded on November 5, 1964 for Columbia Records and not released as a single, but only on albums (see Latin for Lovers). It was featured in the 1992 Australian film Strictly Ballroom and in the Louie season 4 promo. The song was released as single by Columbia in 1992.
- 1964: The Trini Lopez version was recorded for Reprise Records and also not released as a single; from the album entitled The Latin Album.
- 1965: Celia Cruz originally recorded a version of the song; later re-released on the 1994 greatest-hits album Irrepetible.
- 1969: Paco de Lucía recorded an instrumental flamenco version on the album En Hispanoamérica.
- 1973: Rigo Tovar version was recorded for Fonovisa Records and released on his album Cómo será la mujer.
- 1982: Dennis Brown released a version titled "Perhaps" on his album Stagecoach Showcase.
- 1996: The alternative rock band Cake released "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" on their album Fashion Nugget.
- 1998: British singer Samantha Fox recorded a cover of "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" for her 21st Century Fox album, but she titled the song simply "Perhaps". It was then released as a single.
- 1998: Cuarteto Patria, with Manu Dibango, included a version on their album CubAfrica.
- 2000: British singer Geri Halliwell released "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" as a B-side to her single "Bag It Up".
- 2000: English singer Mari Wilson covered the song, and was later featured as the theme song to Coupling; in the American version of Coupling, it was sung by Lindsay Price.
- 2000: Rubén González, the famous pianist of Buena Vista Social Club, includes an instrumental version on their album Chanchullo.
- 2004: Laurel Aitken on his album En Español.
- 2004: Las Rubias del Norte on their album Rumba Internationale.
- 2004: Arielle Dombasle and Julio Iglesias on the former's album Amor Amor.
- 2006: British singer Emma Bunton included "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" on the special edition on her CD Life in Mono.
- 2006: South African singer Claire Johnston from the group Mango Groove released the song (titled "Perhaps") on her album Africa Blue.
- 2007: A cover of "Quizás, quizás, quizás" figured in the tracklist of Mi Sueño, the posthumous Ibrahim Ferrer's CD, released under World Circuit Records by Buena Vista Social Club. The cover was performed by Ibrahim Ferrer featuring the Cuban singer Omara Portuondo.
- 2008: The Pussycat Dolls included "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" as a bonus track on the CD 2 of the Deluxe edition of their second studio album Doll Domination.
- 2008: Buena Vista Social Club released a live version on their album Buena Vista Social Club at Carnegie Hall.
- 2011: Hong Kong singer and actor Aaron Kwok recorded a cantonese and mandarin version of the song as the theme song to his 2011/12 world tour.
- 2013: Andrea Bocelli recorded the Spanish version "Quizas, quizas, quizas" as a duet with Jennifer Lopez, for his album Passione. This new version is produced by Grammy winner David Foster.
- 2015: Brazilian singer Daniel Boaventura recorded a cover of "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps (Quizás, Quizás, Quizás)" feature Carlos Rivera for his second live album/DVD Your Song (ao vivo).
- 2015: Il Divo, the vocal quartet of male singers; Swiss tenor Urs Bühler, Spanish baritone Carlos Marín, American tenor David Miller and French pop singer Sébastien Izambard, along with colombian producer winner of multiple Grammy Latino Julio Reyes Copello, recorded the song for the album Amor & Pasión from Il Divo.
The song was notably featured in several films.
- 1992: A scene in the Australian film Strictly Ballroom featured the Doris Day version.
- 1996: Cake's version of the song appears in the film Dream for an Insomniac.
- 1999: A live performance of the song at Carnegie Hall was included on the film soundtrack for Buena Vista Social Club (but not on the album of the same name).
- 2000: The Nat King Cole version was used in the Wong Kar-wai film In the Mood for Love.
- 2001: The English version of the song was featured in the Tortilla Soup.
- 2001: The Geri Halliwell cover features in the film America's Sweethearts.
- 2001–04: The English version was the theme the song for Coupling, played during the opening credits.
- 2003: Doris Day's English version of the song is heard during the opening credits of Dot the i starring Gael García Bernal.
- 2004: Sara Montiel's version of the song was lip-synced by Gael García Bernal in the movie Bad Education.
- 2005: A scene in Brokeback Mountain featured a version performed by Rick Garcia.
- 2005: A scene in the film Americano featured a version performed by Sandra Echeverria.
- Osvaldo Farrés biography
- "Desi Arnaz - Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps". WhoSampled.com. Retrieved 11 February 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Discografia de Rigo Tovar, Accessed on 2009-08-22
- Stagecoach Showcase details
- http://www.discogs.com/Claire-Johnston-Africa-Blue/release/2668064 Retrieved 15 October 2013
- Gayles, Contessa (January 22, 2013). "Andrea Bocelli, Jennifer Lopez, "Quizas, quizas, quizas" Song Premiere". AOL Music Blog. Retrieved January 23, 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "New Il Divo Album Amor & out November 2015". sebastienizambard.net. 25 November 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Quizás, quizás, quizás" ("Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps") – Spanish version lyrics, literal English translation, and English version lyrics