Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda
|Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda (German)|
Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels
|Formed||March 13, 1933|
|Dissolved||May 1, 1945|
Wilhelmplatz 8/9, Berlin-Mitte
|Annual budget||187 million ℛℳ (1941)|
The Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda (Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda, RMVP or Propagandaministerium) was a Nazi government agency to enforce Nazi ideology.
Founded on 14 March 1933, a few months after the Nazi seizure of power by Adolf Hitler's government, it was headed by Reich Minister Joseph Goebbels. The role of the new ministry, which set up its offices in the 18th-century Ordenspalais across from the Reich Chancellery, was to centralise Nazi control of all aspects of German cultural and intellectual life. An unstated goal was to present to other nations the impression that the Nazi Party had the full and enthusiastic backing of the entire population. It was responsible for controlling the German news media, literature, visual arts, filmmaking, theatre, music, and broadcasting. As the central office of Nazi propaganda, it comprehensively supervised and regulated the culture and mass media of Nazi Germany. A major focus of the propaganda was Hitler himself, who was glorified as a heroic and infallible leader and became the focus of a cult of personality. Much of this was spontaneous, but some was stage-managed as part of Goebbels' propaganda work.
The ministry was organized into seven departments.
- Division I: Administration and legal
- Division II: Mass rallies; public health; youth; race
- Division III: Broadcasting
- Division IV: National and foreign press
- Division V: Films and film censorship
- Division VI: Art, music, and theatre
- Division VII: Protection against counter-propaganda, both foreign and domestic
- Evans, Richard J. (2005). The Third Reich in Power. New York: Penguin. ISBN 978-0-14-303790-3.
- Kershaw, Ian (2008). Hitler: A Biography. New York: W. W. Norton & Company. ISBN 978-0-393-06757-6.
- Longerich, Peter (2015). Goebbels: A Biography. New York: Random House. ISBN 978-1400067510.
- Manvell, Roger; Fraenkel, Heinrich (2010) . Doctor Goebbels : his Life and Death. New York: Skyhorse. ISBN 978-1-61608-029-7.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda (building).|