Reporting mark

From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
Jump to: navigation, search
Reporting marks on two CP covered hopper cars; with the left car marked as CP 388686 and the right car marked as SOO 115239

A reporting mark is an alphabetic code of one to four letters used to identify owners or lessees of rolling stock and other equipment used on certain railroad networks.

In North America the mark, which consist of an alphabetic code of one to four letters, is stenciled on each piece of equipment, along with a one- to six-digit number. This information is used to uniquely identify every such rail car or locomotive, thus allowing it to be tracked by the railroad they are traveling over, which shares the information with other railroads and customers. [1][2]

Standard practices

North America

A covered hopper with SHPX markings

The Association of American Railroads (AAR) assigns marks to all carriers, under authority granted by the U.S. Surface Transportation Board, Transport Canada, and Mexican Government.

Under current practice, the first letter must match the initial letter of the railroad name. As it also acts as a Standard Carrier Alpha Code, the reporting mark cannot conflict with codes in use by other nonrail carriers.[1][2]

Marks ending with the letter "X" are assigned to companies or individuals who own railcars, but are not operating railroads; for example, the TTX Company (formerly Trailer Train Company) is named for its original reporting mark of TTX. In another example, the reporting mark for state-funded Amtrak services in California is CDTX (whereas the usual Amtrak mark is AMTK) because the state transportation agency (Caltrans) owns the equipment used in these services. This may also apply to commuter rail, for example Metrolink in Southern California uses the reporting mark SCAX because the equipment is owned by the Southern California Regional Rail Authority—which owns the Metrolink system—even though it is operated by Amtrak. This is why the reporting mark for CSX Transportation, which is an operating railroad, is CSXT instead of CSX. Private (non-common carrier) freight car owners in Mexico were issued, up until around 1990, reporting marks ending in two X's, possibly to signify that their cars followed different regulations (such as bans on friction bearing trucks) than their American counterparts and so their viability for interchange service was impaired. This often resulted in five-letter reporting marks, an option not otherwise allowed by the AAR.

A temporary window sign with RTDX markings

Companies owning trailers used in trailer-on-flatcar service are assigned marks ending with the letter "Z", and the National Motor Freight Traffic Association, which maintains the list of Standard Carrier Alpha Codes, assigns marks ending in U to owners of intermodal containers.[1][2] The standard ISO 6346 covers identifiers for intermodal containers.

When the owner of a reporting mark is taken over by another company, the old mark becomes the property of the new company. For example, when the Union Pacific Railroad (mark UP) acquired the Chicago and North Western Railway (mark CNW) in the 1990s, it retained the CNW mark rather than immediately repaint all acquired equipment. Some companies own several marks that are used to identify different classes of cars, such as boxcars or gondolas.[2] If the acquiring company discontinues the name or mark of the acquired company, the discontinued mark is referred to as a "fallen flag" railway. Occasionally, long-disused marks are suddenly revived by the companies which now own them. For example, in recent years, the Union Pacific Railroad has begun to use the mark CMO on newly built covered hoppers, gondolas and five-bay coal hoppers. CMO originally belonged to a predecessor of the CNW, which passed it on to them, from which the UP inherited it. Similarly, during the breakup of Conrail, the long-retired marks of the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) and New York Central Railroad (NYC) were temporarily brought back and applied to much of Conrail's fleet to signify which cars and locomotives were to go to CSX (all cars labeled NYC) and which to Norfolk Southern (all cars labeled PRR). Some of these cars still retain their temporary NYC marks.

List of North American reporting marks

Because of its size, this list has been split into subpages based on the first letter of the reporting mark. Railinc, a subsidiary of the AAR, maintains the active reporting marks for the North American rail industry. Railinc offers a free online look-up of reporting marks and other industry reference files through the Railinc's Freight Rail 411 website.


The original railway vehicle owner's code forms part of the vehicle number on the side of a railway coach or wagon. Until 2005 it was used to specify the owner of the wagon. Since then it has been largely replaced by the almost identical UIC country code.

For every railway that enters its tractive units into the register, a clear European-wide code is needed, separate from the number. This alphanumerical Vehicle Keeper Marking (VKM) is allocated by a railway administration in accordance with CR OPE TSI.[3] This code consists of two parts. The first alphanumeric characters indicate the country in which the railway company is registered. Then followed by a hyphen. The second block of alphanumeric characters are the abbreviation of the company.

Code Country Owner
A-ÖBB Austria Österreichische Bundesbahnen
B-SNCB Belgium Société nationale des chemins de fer belges
CH-SBB Schweiz Schweizer Bundesbahnen
D-DB Deutschland Deutsche Bahn AG
D-EB Deutschland Erfurter Bahn
F-SNCF France Société nationale des chemins de fer français
I-FS Italy Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane
L-CFL Luxembourg Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois
N-NS Netherlands Nederlandse Spoorwegen

United Kingdom

In the United Kingdom, prior to nationalisation, wagons owned by the major railways were marked with codes of two to four letters, these codes normally being the initials of the railway concerned; for example, wagons of the Great Western Railway were marked "G W"; those of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway were marked "L M S", etc. The codes were agreed between the railways and registered with the Railway Clearing House.

See also


  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 "Mark Register". Railinc. Retrieved 2014-12-09. 
  2. 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 McGonigal, Robert S. (May 1, 2006). "Understanding railroad reporting marks". Trains. Retrieved 2014-12-09. 
  3. Pages 60-61

External links