The restaurant was started by källarmästare Wilhelm Strandberg, who was 25 years old at the time and had experience from Berns salonger in Stockholm, Sweden. The restaurant building was a villa at a property owned by Stockholm-Rimbo Järnvägsaktiebolag in the block Gandvik, close to Samsöviken in Stora Värtan.
August Strindberg lived in Djursholm for a short period 1891-1892 and drew up plans for a theatre in the restaurant's large dining room. However, Strandberg still needed the room for the restaurant, so the plans were never realized.
The restaurant was closed between 1919 and 1921. The railway company then sold to newly founded company Djursholms Restaurangaktiebolag, co-owned by Djursholms AB, the railway company and private investors. This company later changed its name to Fastighetsaktiebolaget Gandvik. For the in August 1922 opening the spot was redesigned. The architect was Victor Fagerström.
Over time, the restaurant became less prosperous and the social life in Djursholm went through changes. Because of this, the restaurant closed in 1956. The building was burnt down in controlled forms by the fire department in 1963. A new restaurant (Djursholms värdshus) and a family hotel was built at the premises in 1968, designed by architect Bertil Falck at FFNS.
Restauranten was also a name for a railway stop at Djursholmsbanan on the Djursholms Ösby-Eddavägen line. The stop was next to the restaurant and named for it. It was situated at the street Henrik Palmes allé. In 1968, the railway stop was renamed Djursholms torg. The railway line was however disbanded in 1976 and replaced by busses.
- BANVAKT.se Bandel nr 323
- BANVAKT.se Bandel nr 325
- Historiskt om Svenska Järnvägar Järnvägar i historien
- ekeving.se: Roslagsbanan - Eddavägslinjen, läst 2015-07-12
- Jan Otto Alrutz, Djursholms restaurang, artikel i Skrifter utgivna av samfundet Djursholms forntid och framtid, skrift XII, 1968
- Ernst Beckman: En bok om Djursholm och om dess villastad, om slottet och dess historia, om godsets egare m.m., Ny uppl., 1897, Stockholm, swe, 194199
- Arkitekturmuseums databas Arkitektregistret, läst 23 oktober 2012
- Wisth Britt, Wisth Per-Bruno (ed.): Djursholm 2000, Skrifter / utgivna av Samfundet Djursholms forntid och framtid, 0581-4472 ; 28, 2001, Samf. Djursholms forntid och framtid, Danderyd, swe, ISBN 91-974122-0-1, 8416921
- Roslagsbanan 100 år, 1985, Stenvall (distr.), Malmö, swe, ISBN 91-7266-087-2, 7630187
- Banvakt.se on Djursholms torg
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.