Revelation 13:16-14:4 on Papyrus 47 from the third century.
|Book||Book of Revelation|
|Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Bible part||27|
Revelation 16 is the sixteenth chapter of the Book of Revelation or the Apocalypse of John in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. The book is traditionally attributed to John the Apostle. It mainly describes the seven bowls of God's wrath, poured out on the wicked and the followers of the Antichrist after the sounding of the seven trumpets.
- The original text is written in Koine Greek.
- Some of the oldest manuscripts containing this chapter are:
- This chapter is divided into 21 verses.
This chapter can be grouped (with cross references to other parts of the Bible):
- Revelation 16:1-2 = First Bowl: Loathsome Sores
- Revelation 16:3 = Second Bowl: The Sea Turns to Blood
- Revelation 16:4-7 = Third Bowl: The Waters Turn to Blood
- Revelation 16:8-9 = Fourth Bowl: Men Are Scorched
- Revelation 16:10-11 = Fifth Bowl: Darkness and Pain
- Revelation 16:12-16 = Sixth Bowl: Euphrates Dried Up
- Revelation 16:17-21 = Seventh Bowl: The Earth Utterly Shaken
- Then I heard a loud voice from the temple saying to the seven angels, “Go and pour out the bowls of the wrath of God on the earth.”
- Then the sixth angel poured out his bowl on the great river Euphrates, and its water was dried up, so that the way of the kings from the east might be prepared.
- Book of Daniel
- Jesus Christ
- John's vision of the Son of Man
- Names and titles of Jesus in the New Testament
- Seven bowls
- Other related Bible parts: Zechariah 12, Revelation 4, Revelation 6, Revelation 13, Revelation 14, Revelation 15, Revelation 17
- Halley, Henry H. Halley's Bible Handbook: an abbreviated Bible commentary. 23rd edition. Zondervan Publishing House. 1962.
- Holman Illustrated Bible Handbook. Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville, Tennessee. 2012.
- Davids, Peter H (1982). I Howard Marshall and W Ward Gasque, ed. New International Greek Testament Commentary: The Epistle of James (Repr. ed.). Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans. ISBN 0802823882.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Evans, Craig A (2005). Craig A Evans, ed. Bible Knowledge Background Commentary: John, Hebrews-Revelation. Colorado Springs, Colo.: Victor. ISBN 0781442281.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Revelation 11:15-Revelation 15:8
- Revelation 16:1
- Revelation 16:12
- Revelation 16:16
- John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible - Revelation 16:16
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Gill, John. Exposition of the Entire Bible (1746-1763).<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>