Revelation 13:16-14:4 on Papyrus 47 from the third century.
|Book||Book of Revelation|
|Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Bible part||27|
Revelation 18 is the eighteenth chapter of the Book of Revelation or the Apocalypse of John in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. The book is traditionally attributed to John the Apostle. It mainly describes the judgment of the Whore of Babylon.
- The original text is written in Koine Greek.
- Some of the oldest manuscripts containing this chapter are:
- This chapter is divided into 24 verses.
This chapter can be grouped (with cross references to other parts of the Bible):
- Revelation 18:1-8 = The Fall of Babylon the Great
- Revelation 18:9-20 = The World Mourns Babylon’s Fall
- Revelation 18:21-24 = Finality of Babylon’s Fall
- And he cried mightily with a loud voice, saying, “Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and has become a dwelling place of demons, a prison for every foul spirit, and a cage for every unclean and hated bird!"
- Therefore her plagues will come in one day—death and mourning and famine. And she will be utterly burned with fire, for strong is the Lord God who judges her.
- They threw dust on their heads and cried out, weeping and wailing, and saying, ‘Alas, alas, that great city, in which all who had ships on the sea became rich by her wealth! For in one hour she is made desolate.’
- Book of Daniel
- Jesus Christ
- John's vision of the Son of Man
- Names and titles of Jesus in the New Testament
- Whore of Babylon
- Other related Bible parts: Zechariah 12, Revelation 4, Revelation 6, Revelation 13, Revelation 14, Revelation 15, Revelation 16
- Halley, Henry H. Halley's Bible Handbook: an abbreviated Bible commentary. 23rd edition. Zondervan Publishing House. 1962.
- Holman Illustrated Bible Handbook. Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville, Tennessee. 2012.
- Davids, Peter H (1982). I Howard Marshall and W Ward Gasque, ed. New International Greek Testament Commentary: The Epistle of James (Repr. ed.). Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans. ISBN 0802823882.
- Evans, Craig A (2005). Craig A Evans, ed. Bible Knowledge Background Commentary: John, Hebrews-Revelation. Colorado Springs, Colo.: Victor. ISBN 0781442281.
- Revelation 18:2
- Revelation 18:8
- Revelation 18:19
- John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible - Revelation 18:19
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Gill, John. Exposition of the Entire Bible (1746-1763).