Richard Steven Burmer (September 19, 1955 – September 9, 2006) was an American composer, engineer, sound designer, musician and ethnomusicologist. His work with electronic music combined with musical styles and instruments from around the world formed his own unique and distinct sound.
Richard was born September 19, 1955 in Owosso, Michigan, the son of Henry Stanley Burmer and Theresa (Suchozenka) Burmer. As a youth growing up in Michigan, he was introduced to the music of India, the Middle East, contemporary orchestral composers, and electronic music. He found a wide palette of musical textures with synthesizers, and the original sampler, the Mellotron. Influences also came from The Moody Blues, King Crimson, and Pink Floyd. He graduated from Corunna High School in Michigan.
After spending time in college studying music theory and composition, Richard moved to Los Angeles where he became a sound designer for E-mu Systems in Santa Cruz and engineer/synth programmer for EFX systems in Burbank.
Richard Burmer died of heart disease on Saturday, September 9, 2006 in Saginaw, Michigan at the age of 50 years. A 2007 Hearts of Space radio show episode entitled "Across the View" (Program #794) was dedicated to his memory.
- Mosaic (1984)
- Bhakti Point (1987)
- Western Spaces (Collaborative album with Steve Roach and Kevin Braheny) (1987)
- On the Third Extreme (1988)
- Invention (1992)
- Collections from a Gallery (Burmer compilation from Japan) (1994)
- Shining by the River (1995) (Burmer compilation by Audio Alternatives Record Company feat. Richard Burmer`s personal Favourites from the Albums "Bhakti Point,On The Third Extreme and Invention + some extra Tracks from the Day Parts Series, released on this Albums (see below).
- Treasures of the Saints (1996)
- Track "Intro" (on album Music from the 21st Century 1982)
- Track "Tristan and the Book" on sampler "Miramar 10" (1996)
- Track "Moon Ghost Waltz" (1999) (Written by Michael Hoppe, performed by Richard Burmer solo (not to be confused by the official release of this Title as a Michael Hoppe Track with Tim Wheater (Flute) and Richard Burmer (Sound FX) on The Unforgetting Heart by Michael Hoppe; Richard Burmer Version released 2013 on Michael Hoppe`s Album "Rarities" (download only Album)
- Track "Sun`s Coming Out" (2000) (on Sampler "Cousteau`s Dreams-Real Music)
Tracks specially composed for the Chip Davis Day Parts Series (on American Gramaphone)
- Track "Across the View" (1991) (from sampler "Sunday Morning Coffee 1")
- Track "A Story From The Rain" (1991) (from sampler "Sunday Morning Coffee 1")
- Track "The Rain Will Bless The Love" (1993) (from sampler "Romance 1")
- Track "Shining By The River" (1993) (from sampler "Romance 1")
- Track "Meadow Drive" (1994) (from sampler "Sunday Morning Coffee 2")
- Track "Downstream" (1994) (from sampler "Sunday Morning Coffee 2")
- Track "Embracement" (1997) (from sampler "Romance 2")
- Track "Walk Into The Love" (1997) (from sampler "Romance 2")
- Album "The Unforgetting Heart" by Michael Hoppe (1998) feat. Tim Wheater on Flute and Richard Burmer (Sound FX)
- Album "Wind Songs" by Michael Hoppe (1996) feat. Tim Wheather on Flute and Richard Burmer (Sound FX)
- Album "Point Of Arrival" by Loren Nerell (1986) feat. Richard Burmer on additional Synthesizer
- Album "Galaxies" by Kevin Braheny (1988) feat. Richard Burmer on additional Synthesizer
- Treasures of the Saints, Richard Burmer. Miramar/BMG Records (1996) (liner notes)
- Mosaic, Richard Burmer. American Gramaphone Records (1990) AGCD690
- Treasures of the Saints, Richard Burmer. Miramar/BMG Records (1996)