Robert J. Mazzuca
|Robert J. Mazzuca|
|Born||1947 (age 70–71)
San Juan Bautista, California, U.S.
|Education||California Polytechnic State University|
|Employer||Boy Scouts of America|
|Title||Chief Scout Executive|
|Term||2007 – August 31, 2012|
Early life and family
Robert Mazzuca was born in 1947 in San Juan Bautista, California. As a boy, Mazzuca joined Boy Scout Troop 28 (now 428) and earned the rank of Eagle Scout in 1964. While a Scout he attended Pico Blanco Scout Reservation of the Monterey Bay Area Council for four summers, including two as staff. Mazzuca was inducted into the Order of the Arrow as a member of Esselen Lodge.
Mazzuca and his wife Nanette have two sons, one of whom, Vince Mazzuca served as a professional Scouter in the Baltimore Area Council from 2003 to 2005 and then returned in 2006 until 2007.
Mazzuca began his Scouting professional career in 1971 in Modesto, California as a district executive and as an Exploring executive. He became the Exploring director in Sacramento in 1975 and rose to the positions of field director and the director of field service.
In 1983, Mazzuca became the Scout executive in Stockton, California. He later served as an area director in the Western Region before returning to Sacramento as the Scout executive. In 1992 he became the assistant regional director for the Southern Region and in 1995 he became the Scout executive of the Greater Pittsburgh Council.
In 2005, he became the national director of the development group at the National Council and in 2006 became the assistant Chief Scout Executive. Mazzuca succeeded Roy Williams as Chief Scout Executive on September 1, 2007.
Mazzuca is a lifetime member of the National Catholic Committee on Scouting. In July 2008 Mazzuca became an honorary chieftain in the Tribe of Mic-O-Say at H. Roe Bartle Scout Reservation. In 2009 Mazzuca was presented the Distinguished Eagle Scout Award.
Robert Mazzuca, Chief Scout Executive of Boy Scouts of America, received $1,211,572 salary/compensation from the charity. This is the 4th most money given by any charity to the head of the charity, according to Charity Watch.
Honors and awards
- "Cal Poly Grad is U.S.A.'s Top Boy Scout". Archived from the original on September 11, 2007. Retrieved August 20, 2007.
- "Boy Scouts tap local leader for top post". Pittsburg Tribune-Review. Retrieved July 26, 2007.
- McCune, Sara (July 31, 2007). "Former Pittsburgher named national head of Boy Scouts". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved July 31, 2007.
- "Robert Mazzuca Appointed Chief Scout Executive for the Boy Scouts of America". Business Wire. Retrieved September 1, 2007.
- Kirdahy, Matthew (September 2007). "Teaching Leadership: Scouts Honor". Forbes. Retrieved September 5, 2007.
- "National Catholic Committee on Scouting". Retrieved June 6, 2007.
- "Bob Mazzuca now Eagle". Scouting Radio. 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- Charity Rating Guide and Watchdog Report, Volume Number 59, December 2011
- "Advice from the Top: Leaders need Scouts' qualities". USA Today. July 20, 2008. Retrieved August 28, 2010.
|Boy Scouts of America|
|Chief Scout Executive