Tamentfoust (in Arabic تمنتفوست), also known as La Pérouse, is a port in the Dar El Beïda district of Algiers, Algeria. The former Roman city and bishopric of Rusginiae is now also a Latin Catholic titular see.
Tamentfoust forms a cap on the Algiers bay - its position on the righthand side of this bay gave rise to the Amazigh name "Tamentfoust" meaning "right hand" or "right side".
The port has had many names over history:
|Rusgunia||Latin||from Punic Rusguniae|
|Tamentfoust||Amazigh||Right hand / Right side|
|Matifou||Spanish (approx 14th century)||Alteration of "Tamentfoust"|
|La Pérouse||Colonial||from the name of French explorer; Jean-François de Galaup, comte de La Pérouse|
Rusguniae was important enough in the Roman province of Mauretania Caesariensis to become a suffragan bishopric of its capital Caesarea Mauretaniae's Metropolitan Archbishopric. It would later fade.
The diocese was nominally restored as a Latin Catholic titular bishopric .
It has had the following incumbents, all of the lowest (episcopal) rank :
- José Gabriel Anaya y Diez de Bonilla (1967.09.15 – 1976.01.06)
- Paul Zinghtung Grawng (1976.01.24 – 1976.12.09) as Auxiliary Bishop of Myitkyina (Myanmar) (1976.01.24 – 1976.12.09), succeeding as Bishop of Myitkyina (1976.12.09 – 2003.05.24), also President of Myanmar Catholic Bishops’ Conference (1982 – 1992); later Metropolitan Archbishop of Mandalay (Myanmar) (2003.05.24 – 2014.04.03) and President of Myanmar Catholic Bishops’ Conference (2006 – 2012)
- Rigoberto Corredor Bermúdez (1988.02.26 – 1996.11.30)
- Anthony Ireri Mukobo, Consolata Missionaries (I.M.C.) (1999.12.22 – ...), Apostolic Vicar of Isiolo (Kenya)
Monuments and edifices
The city has a series of historical buildings, such as Tamentfoust Castle (now a museum) built by Ramdhan Agha in 1661, and the vestiges of the ancient Roman city of Rusguniae. Maritime history is represented by the "Naval Academy of Tamentfoust" known as the biggest naval academy on the continent. The views from the harbour are also a big attraction for visitors.
Sources and External links
- Blog de Tamentfoust (Association Culturelle de Tmentfoust)
- GCatholic, with titular incumbent biography links
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.
|This article about a location in Algiers Province is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|