|St. Louis Cardinals – No. 64|
October 19, 1992 |
San Mateo, California
|September 9, 2014, for the St. Louis Cardinals|
(through 2015 season)
|Earned run average||5.17|
Tuivailala was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the third round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft. He made his professional debut for the Gulf Coast Cardinals. Tuivailala played in the outfield, shortstop and third base during his first two seasons in the Cardinals organization. After hitting only .220, he was converted into a relief pitcher before the 2012 season.
Tuivailala made his pitching debut for the Johnson City Cardinals in 2012. He appeared in 12 games and had a 4.15 earned run average (ERA) in 13 innings with 23 strikeouts but issued 13 walks. The next season, he played for the Peoria Chiefs, appearing in 28 games and had a 5.35 ERA. Tuivailala started the 2014 season with the Palm Beach Cardinals. In July, he was promoted to the Springfield Cardinals of the AA Texas League, and shortly afterward was promoted to the major league roster. He made his MLB debut on September 9, and played in two games his rookie season.
The Cardinals recalled Tuivailala to the major leagues on May 15, 2015, from the AAA Memphis Redbirds. On July 1, Tuivailala was named a PCL All-Star for 2015, his first recognition as an All-Star in his minor league career. In 29 relief appearances and 27 2⁄3 IP, he was 3–0 with a 1.95 ERA and 23 strikeouts. He also co-led the PCL in games finished (23) and tied for third-most with 11 saves, converting all 11 opportunities. PCL managers and coaches rated Tuivailala the league's best reliever for 2015.
- Baseball America Pacific Coast League Best Reliever (2015)
- Baseball America St. Louis Cardinals' organization Best Fastball (2015)
- Pacific Coast League All-Star (2015)
- Versatile Aragon athlete Sam Tuivailala may blaze trail in baseball
- Baseball draft: Aragon's Tuivailala is highest area pick.
- Cards draft Tuivailala
- Reeves: Sam Tuivailala gets an education in the minors
- Tuivailala Looking to Ascend in Cardinals Organization
- Booher, Kary (July 18, 2014). "Couldn't hit — now he's hitting 100 mph". Springfield News-Leader. Retrieved July 3, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Tuivailala heat suits Cardinals’ system
- Newton, Brian (May 27, 2014). "Palm Beach fireballer Sam Tuivailala off to a hot start". MiLB.com. Retrieved July 3, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Fallstrom, R. B. (May 17, 2015). "Cardinals to start Garcia on Thursday; Tuivailala recalled". San Diego Union-Tribune. Associated Press. Retrieved May 17, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Memphis Redbirds (July 1, 2015). "Tuivailala, Cooney named to PCL All-Star team". MiLB.com. Retrieved July 3, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Goold, Derrick (August 12, 2015). "Cards prospect Reyes sweeps 'Tools Triple Crown'". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved August 12, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>