|Full name||Jorge Samuel Caballero Álvarez|
|Date of birth||24 December 1974|
|Place of birth||Puerto Lempira, Honduras|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 1⁄2 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of end of 2010 season.
He currently is the president of Honduran national league club Deportes Savio.
Caballero began his career with hometown club Deportivo Melgar. He then joined Olimpia, playing with the team from 1996 until transferring overseas in 2001. The central defender moved to Serie A to play for Udinese, where his second season was hampered by a long knee injury lay-off. He would remain in Udine until moving to Salernitana in 2004. He only played in 2 cup games for them and then signed for Nacional in Uruguay, but the move did not materialise since Nacional had too many foreigners in their squad, so he joined Defensor Sporting instead. In Uruguay he was unlucky with injuries again.
At the start of 2005, he moved to Major League Soccer and the Chicago Fire. Caballero had a disappointing 2005 with the club, and was released. He spent the 2006 preseason with the Colorado Rapids.
Caballero had a lengthy spell with Chinese side Changchun Yatai and played in the 2008 AFC Champions League with them. In the 2008-2009 Winter Market it was reported that two teams from Honduras, Marathon and Olimpia, were interested in the signing of Samuel Caballero after he publicly stated his desire to return to Honduras in order to be close to family and return to the National Team. However, the player still had a contract with the Chinese Club Changchun Yatai and stated that if he did not receive any offers he would return to the club and complete his contract.
Career end controversy
In summer 2011 he finally returned to Honduras to sign with Necaxa and declared the team would be his final before retiring. However, he would never play for the club since he was still contracted to Changchun Yatai and they did not give him permission to play for Necaxa.
Caballero has played an important part at the national team setup for over 10 years, mostly playing alongside other Honduran greats like Amado Guevara, Julio César de León and Carlos Pavón. He made his debut for Honduras in a January 1998 friendly match against Costa Rica and has earned a total of 71 caps, scoring 11 goals. He has represented his country in 22 FIFA World Cup qualification matches and played at the 1999 UNCAF Nations Cup as well as at the 1998, 2000, 2005 and 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cups. Also, he played at the 2001 Copa América. and was one of three of Honduras' over-age players at the 2008 Summer Olympics.
- Scores and results list Honduras' goal tally first.
- Chinese Super League: 2007 Chinese Super League Champion 2007
- Chinese Super League: 2009 Chinese Super League Runner-Up
- Chinese Super League: 2009 Chinese Super League Footballer of the Year (MVP)
- JORGE SAMUEL CABALLERO - Gazzetta
- Es un Caballero que vino a jugar fuerte - El País (Spanish)
- Hondureño Caballero fichó por el Defensor de Montevideo - Nacion (Spanish)
- "No sé qué hacer, solamente Dios sabe dónde terminaré" - El País (Spanish)
- Fire Signs Honduran National Team Standout Samuel Caballero - OurSportsCentral
- AFC Champions League 2008 START LIST - AFC
- Samuel Caballero, cerca de firmar con Necaxa - La Prensa (Spanish)
- “Me retiraré en Necaxa”: Samuel Caballero - El Heraldo (Spanish)
- Necaxa descarta a Samuel Caballero - Diez (Spanish)
- Según Necaxa, Samuel no es “Caballero” - La Tribuna (Spanish)
- Samuel Caballero – FIFA competition record
- UNCAF Tournament 1999 - RSSSF
- CONCACAF Championship, Gold Cup 1998 - Full Details - RSSSF
- CONCACAF Championship, Gold Cup 2000 - Full Details - RSSSF
- CONCACAF Championship, Gold Cup 2005 - Full Details - RSSSF
- CONCACAF Championship, Gold Cup 2007 - Full Details - RSSSF
- Copa América 2001 - RSSSF
- Samuel Caballero, nuevo presidente del Savio - Tiempo (Spanish)
- Samuel Caballero at National-Football-Teams.com
- Caballero profile - FIFA
- MLS stats - MLS Soccer
- Stats - Gazzetta
Script error: The function "top" does not exist.
Script error: The function "bottom" does not exist.