San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo
The San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo in San Antonio, Texas, USA is one of the largest livestock shows and rodeos in the country. Started in 1950, the annual event takes place over three weeks in February. The rodeo's permanent home was the Joe & Harry Freeman Coliseum until 2003 when its primary events moved into the AT&T Center.
Since its inception the Stock Show & Rodeo has grown and developed over the years. In 1984 the Rodeo began a scholarship program for students interested in pursuing agricultural degrees. Since then the association has committed over $64 million through scholarships, grants, endowments, cattle auctions and other means. In 2003, with the addition of the AT&T Center, the adjacent Freeman Coliseum became available to add on-site access for retailers to sell western wear, furniture and other items during the annual rodeo. The San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo is one of the top five Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA) rodeos in the nation. In 2003 it received special recognition by the PRCA Pro-Rodeo Hall of Fame. Attendance at the 56th Annual (2005) Rodeo reached 1.1 million, about $500,000 in prizes are awarded to winning rodeo participants and the grand champion steer was auctioned off for over $110,000. After the rodeo events, there is a concert given by various popular artists, mostly from the country-western genre.
- 2005 PRCA Large Indoor Rodeo of the Year
- 2006 PRCA Large Indoor Rodeo of the Year
- 2007 PRCA Large Indoor Rodeo of the Year
- 2008 PRCA Large Indoor Rodeo of the Year
- 2009 PRCA Large Indoor Rodeo of the Year
- 2010 PRCA Large Indoor Rodeo of the Year
- 2011 PRCA Large Indoor Rodeo of the Year
- 2012 PRCA Large Indoor Rodeo of the Year
- 2013 PRCA Large Indoor Rodeo of the Year
- 2014 PRCA Large Indoor Rodeo of the Year
- Yves Gerem (December 2000). A Marmac Guide to San Antonio. Pelican Publishing. p. 293. ISBN 978-1-4556-0854-6.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo - General Info & Application
- Spurs rodeo road trip more important than ever
- San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo
- Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association
- ProRodeo Hall of Fame
- San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo Photo Gallery
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.
|This agriculture article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|