|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Pasadena, California|
|Imprints||Newspapers, alternative weekly, magazines|
San Diego CityBeat is an alternative weekly newspaper in San Diego, California that focuses on local progressive politics, arts, and music. It is published every Wednesday and distributed around San Diego County.
Southland Publishing purchased SLAMM magazine, a music biweekly, from publisher Kevin Hellman in 2002. It planned to target young, educated readers in San Diego, an audience whose needs, Southland's owners felt, were not being met by the other two major publications in San Diego, the San Diego Union Tribune and the San Diego Reader. David Rolland, a journalist and editor with more than 10 years experience, was named editor of CityBeat, while Hellman, the former publisher of SLAMM, was named the entertainment/promotions manager of the new weekly. Rolland is still editing CityBeat while Hellman, who organizes the annual North Park Music Thing music festival and San Diego Music Awards, is the weekly's publisher. CityBeat continues to sponsor the San Diego Music Awards, which was initially organized by Hellman's SLAMM magazine.
Rolland has been appearing on the Editor's Roundtable, a radio show on local public radio station, KPBS, since 2004. The addition of Rolland and other local editors to the show's guest list led Bob Kittle, then editor of the San Diego Union Tribune editorial page, and the editors of the San Diego Voice and Viewpoint and San Diego Metropolitan Magazine, who until then had been the show's only panelists, to leave the show. Staff:
- Editor: David Rolland
- Associate Editor: Kelly Davis
- Music Editor: Jeff Terich
- Arts Editor: Kinsee Morlan
- Web Editor: Ryan Bradford
- Staff Writer/News: Joshua Emerson Smith
- Theater Editor: David L. Coddon
- Art Director: Lindsey Voltoline
- Production Manager: Tristan Whitehouse
- Book columnist: Jim Ruland
- Human Resources: Director: Andrea Baker
- Publisher: Kevin Hellman
Pasadena Weekly was launched in 1984 and it covers community news on Pasadena, such as city government, public safety, and events, along with opinion, arts, entertainment and dining listings, and a 8-days listing with events scheduled for the Pasadena community. It is published on Thursdays and it is available only on newsstands located in the downtown area for free. It also publishes "Happy Birthday, Pasadena" to celebrate the city's anniversary of incorporation in June, the "Best of Pasadena" edition in October, and a "Welcome Pasadena" edition in December during Christmas involving the Rose Parade.
- Editor: Kevin Ulrich
- Deputy editor: Andre Coleman
- Calendar listings: John Sollenberger
- Publisher: Jon Guynn
- Inland Empire Weekly
- Iwan, Christine (2001-01-19). "Ventura Newspapers Adds Second California Weekly". AltWeeklies.com. Retrieved 2015-05-25.
- Blume, Howard (2003-04-17). "Profit Is the Best Revenge". L.A. Weekly. Retrieved 2015-05-25.
- Argonaut Online
- Southland Publishing Acquires The Argonaut
|This article about a United States publishing company is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|