San Diego County Library
- This library serves the unincorporated areas and cities within the county of San Diego which are outside San Diego city boundaries. For the library serving the city, see San Diego Public Library.
|Access and use|
The San Diego County Library is a public library system serving San Diego County in the U.S. state of California. Any person living in the state is eligible for a free library card. During the 2009–2010 fiscal year, the library circulated over 10 million materials and had over 641,276 members.
During the 2009–2010 fiscal year the San Diego County Library had 33 branches and two bookmobiles; circulated over 10.7 million books, CDs, DVDs, and other material formats; recorded 5.7 million visits to library branches and hosted 21,132 library programs. The San Diego County Library is one of the 25 busiest libraries in the United States as measured by materials circulated. Despite budget cuts, the County library system has increased hours of operation.
The San Diego County Library circulates a variety of materials, including books, DVDs, compact discs, downloadable audiobooks, video games and magazines. The library carries materials in a variety of languages.
Books can be borrowed from the County library through the San Diego City Library system. In 2007, the San Diego County Library joined The San Diego Circuit, a consortium of libraries that includes San Diego State University, UC San Diego, CSU San Marcos, and University of San Diego. Library cardholders with any Circuit library may request books to be transferred to their local library at no charge.
The San Diego County Library also participates in the Link+ borrowing consortium, loaning and borrowing books and media from over 40 libraries throughout California and Nevada, under much the same borrowing procedure as the San Diego Circuit.
The library is utilizing technology to improve customer service. Customers are able to browse the catalog via the Internet, enabling them to request items, and view their account. Some branches of the library have express checkout machines that allow customers to check their items out themselves. Some few branches of the library have express check in machines that allow customers to check their items in themselves as well.
Some customers may qualify for the library's award-winning Books-by-Mail program.
Public computer services
Each branch library offers free computer use, including internet access and word processing. All branches offer Wi-Fi internet access. The library subscribes to a number of subscription online resources (e.g. Morningstar, ReferenceUSA, OverDrive downloadable audiobooks) that customers may access from home.
The San Diego County Library provides a wide range of programming for customers of all ages. During the 2007–2008 fiscal year, the library system hosted 13,858 programs. The library often hosts performers, such as musicians, magicians, dancers, and puppeteers. Other events include book discussions, film screenings, and craft instruction. The San Diego County Library publishes a comprehensive print calendar detailing events at every branch library, as well as a web-based calendar, located on the library's web site.
L.E.A.R.N. (Libraries Empower All to Read Now) is the San Diego County Library's adult literacy program. L.E.A.R.N offers tutoring in basic reading, writing and math skills, as well as tutoring in standardized tests, such as the GED and the ASVAB. L.E.A.R.N. also provides services for English as a Second Language (ESL) learners.
The San Diego County Library is composed of 33 branches, located in:
- 4S Ranch
- Borrego Springs
- Casa De Oro
- Del Mar
- El Cajon
- Fletcher Hills
- Imperial Beach
- La Mesa
- Lemon Grove
- Lincoln Acres
- Pine Valley
- Rancho San Diego
- Rancho Santa Fe
- San Marcos
- Solana Beach
- Spring Valley
- Valley Center
There are also two mobile libraries, which serve the east and north parts of San Diego county.
Anyone possessing a library card can borrow and return books at any branch. In addition, materials may be transferred between these branches for pickup by customers, at no charge.
- "San Diego County Library "All Locations" Page". Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- "San Diego County Library "About Us" Page". Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- "San Diego County Library "Director Biography" Page". Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- "California Library Statistics 2008 (2006 – 2007 fiscal year) (PDF)" (PDF). Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- "San Diego County Library". San Diego County Library.
- "County Library Director Wins State Award". San Diego County Library. Retrieved December 17, 2009.
- "What is the San Diego Circuit?". Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- "Link+ member libraries". Retrieved December 4, 2010.
- "San Diego County Library Catalog". Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- Helen Gao. "Self-serve checkouts get good reviews". Retrieved June 5, 2009.
- "San Diego County Library "Books by Mail" Page". Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- "San Diego County Library "Databases" Page". Retrieved December 23, 2008.
- "San Diego County Library "Adult Literacy" Page". Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- Official website of the San Diego County Library