November 13, 1948 |
Kiryū, Gunma, Japan
|Genres||Pop, jazz, chanson|
Saori Yuki (由紀さおり Yuki Saori?, born November 13, 1948) is a Japanese singer and actress. She was born as Akiko Yasuda (Yasuda Akiko (安田 章子?) in Kiryū, Gunma, Japan and raised in Yokohama. She started her singing career with her older sister Sachiko as a child singer. In 1965 she debuted with the single "Hitchhike Musume (Hitchhiking girl)" on King Records (Japan) as Akiko Yasuda.
In 1969, she had a hit with "Yoake no Scat (Scat at dawn)", which sold 1.5 million copies, which led her to sing at the NHK's Kōhaku Uta Gassen, the annual year-end music show (after that she continued her appearance until 1978). In 1970 her single "Tegami (The Letter)" peaked at #1 and was the second best selling single in Japan in 1970. For "Tegami" she won an award at the 12th Japan Record Awards. She received the Best Vocalist Award at the 15th Japan Record Awards for her hit "Koibumi (Love Letter)".
She quickly became a popular TV personality, appeared on a numbers of variety shows, and acted in several movies. She received the Award of Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in Japan Academy Prize in 1983 for her role of Chikako Numata, a mother of two difficult sons in The Family Game.
In 1985, she started appearing on stage again with her sister Sachiko. They toured around Japan with their specialty of Japanese children's songs and received the Best Planning Award in 28th Japan Record Awards for their hit album Ano-toki, Kono-uta (あの時・この歌 ("Those Times, These Songs"). Their repertoire has not been limited to children's songs but included also pop, classical, and anime songs.
In 2009, she released her first original album since 1984, commemorating the 40th anniversary of her singing career as Saori Yuki. A collaboration album with Pink Martini titled 1969 was released in November 2011 in more than 20 countries, and quickly gained popularity in various places including the United States, Canada, Singapore and Greece.
- The Family Game (1983) - Chikako Numata, the mother
As Akiko Yasuda:
- Hitchhike Musume (1965)
- Doko ni iruno Papa? (1965)
As Saori Yuki:
- Yoake no Scat (1969)
- Tenshi no Scat (1965)
- Tegami (1970)
Duet with Pink Martini :
- "由紀さおり「夜明けのスキャット」40年の時を経て復刻". 19 June 2009. Retrieved August 25, 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Billboard Magazine, 1999. Retrieved 2016. Check date values in:
- Billboard Magazine, 1970. Retrieved 2016. Check date values in:
- Billboard Magazine, 1971. Retrieved 2016. Check date values in:
- "Pink Martini & Saori Yuki – 1969  – $15.00 : Pinki Martini Store". Pinkmartini.com. Retrieved 2012-11-10.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- J-CASTニュース 2011/11/ 7 「夜明けのスキャット」の由紀さおりアルバム 米、カナダで次々1位と世界的ヒットの快挙