Sarah Wayne Callies
|Sarah Wayne Callies|
Callies at the Walker Stalker Convention, January 2015
|Born||Sarah Anne Wayne Callies
June 1, 1977
La Grange, Illinois, United States
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College
National Theatre Conservatory
|Spouse(s)||Josh Winterhalt (m. 2002)|
Callies was born in La Grange, Illinois, the daughter of Valerie Wayne and David E. Callies (born 1943), now divorced and respective English and law professors at the University of Hawaii, Manoa. At age one, Callies moved to Honolulu, Hawaii with her family. Throughout her youth, she expressed an interest in acting through participating in various school plays at the independent Punahou School. After graduating from high school, she entered Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire. In conjunction with her studies, Callies remained involved in theatre. She continued her education at Denver's National Theater Conservatory, where she obtained her Master of Fine Arts degree in 2002.
Callies moved to New York in 2003 and then quickly landed her first television role as Kate O'Malley, a recurring part on the short-lived CBS show Queens Supreme. Her first starring role was as Detective Jane Porter on The WB's Tarzan.
After making various guest appearances on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Dragnet (2003), and NUMB3RS, Callies gained a starring role on Fox's Prison Break as Sara Tancredi. Her role lasted from 2005 through 2009. According to Prison Break's executive producer Matt Olmstead, although he, the writers, the network, and Callies herself all wanted her to stay on the show the character was written out related to contract disputes. She stated through a spokesperson to TV Guide in Fall 2007:
|“||"As hard as we all tried, the Prison Break powers that be and I were unable to find a way to meet both the needs of the story and the needs of my family. We parted wishing each other well. I had a wonderful time working with the creative team and have a world of respect for all of them; they took great care of Sara. I'm also enormously grateful to the fans. They've been so gracious and supportive, and I hope they continue to enjoy the show."||”|
However, in March 2008, Olmstead stated that the character of Sara is still alive and would return in Season 4 of Prison Break. Though the character Sara Tancredi appeared to have a violent death, Olmstead stated "...we realized that there was actually a way she could still be alive." When asked by Kirstin of E! whether the fans' overwhelming response to her death had factored in, Executive Producer Matt Olmstead admitted it had indeed influenced the decision.
The Walking Dead
In 2010, Callies was cast in her biggest role to date, main character Lori Grimes on the AMC horror/drama series The Walking Dead, based on the comic book series of the same name, from the show's start until season three. Grimes, her family, and friends are forced to fight relentless evil in the form of flesh-eating zombies and the few surviving humans, some of whom are even more diabolical and dangerous than the zombies themselves. Callies convinced the show's writers to kill her character because that is what had occurred in the comic book version. The drama is the highest rated in that cable channel's history, [dead link] and the first three seasons have received good reviews from professional critics, whether "universal acclaim" or "generally favorable".
Callies has also starred in two feature films - Universal Pictures' Whisper and an independent film, The Celestine Prophecy. In April 2010, she appeared on the Fox Television drama House M.D. as a patient of the week, whose open marriage fascinates House and the team. In August 2010, Callies' first screenplay, an adaptation of Campbell Geeslin's children's book Elena's Serenade, was optioned by French production company Fulldawa Films. Callies starred in the Nigerian movie Black Gold (2011) and one of the female lead roles in the Canadian thriller Faces in the Crowd (2011). 2015 co-starred Nicolas Cage, in Uli Edel's thriller film Pay the Ghost.
On July 21, 2002, Callies married Josh Winterhalt, whom she met at Dartmouth College. Winterhalt is a martial arts teacher. On January 23, 2007, her publicist announced that the couple were expecting their first child. In July 2007, Callies gave birth to a girl, Keala Winterhalt.
|2006||Celestine Prophecy, TheThe Celestine Prophecy||Marjorie|
|2009||Prison Break: The Final Break||Dr. Sara Tancredi||Television film|
|2010||Lullaby for Pi||Josephine|
|2011||Black Gold||Kate Summers|
|2011||Faces in the Crowd||Francine|
|2012||Black November||Kate Summers|
|2014||Into the Storm||Allison Stone|
|2015||Pay the Ghost||Kristen|
|2016||The Other Side of the Door||Maria||Post-production|
|2016||This Is Your Death||Karina||Post-production|
|2003||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Jenny Rochester||Episode: "Privilege"|
|2003||Dragnet||Kathryn 'Kate' Randall||Episode: "The Brass Ring"|
|2003||Queens Supreme||Kate O'Malley||Episode: "Flawed Heroes"|
|2003||Tarzan||Officer Jane Porter||Main role, 9 episodes|
|2004||Secret Service, TheThe Secret Service||Laura Kelly||Pilot|
|2005||Numb3rs||Agent Kim Hall||Episode: "Counterfeit Reality"|
|2005–09||Prison Break||Dr. Sara Tancredi||Main role, 68 episodes|
|2007||Queens Supreme||Kate O'Malley||4 episodes|
|2010||House||Julia||Episode: "Open and Shut"|
|2010||Tangled||Chloe / Sally||Pilot|
|2010–13||Walking Dead, TheThe Walking Dead||Lori Grimes||Seasons 1-3 (main role; 27 episodes)|
|2016||Colony||Katie Bowman||Main role|
Awards and nominations
|2011||Saturn Award||Best Actress on Television||The Walking Dead||Nominated|
|2012||Scream Award||Best Horror Actress||The Walking Dead||Nominated|
|2012||Satellite Award||Best Cast - Television Series||The Walking Dead||Won|
- "It's 'Tarzan' and she's Jane, once a Punahou star - The Honolulu Advertiser - Hawaii's Newspaper". honoluluadvertiser.com.
- Gary C.W. Chun (March 20, 2006). "Prison M.D.". Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Retrieved March 20, 2006.
- "Sarah Wayne Callies". tvguide.com. TV Guide. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- Prison Break Exclusive: The Real Story Behind Sara's Death Ausiello Report, TVGuide.com, October 8, 2007, Retrieved March 28, 2008
- TV Guide Editors' Blogs: Prison Break Stunner: Sarah Wayne Callies Returns!, Michael Ausiello, TVGuide.com, March 27, 2008, Retrieved March 28, 2008
- Breaking! Prison Break Brings Back Sarah Wayne Callies! Kristin, eonline.com, March 27, 2008, Retrieved March 31, 2008
- TV: Rick Grimes' Wife Lori Cast for AMC's 'The Walking Dead'
- "10 Things You Didn't Know About Sarah Wayne Calllies". whatculture.com. What Culture. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- "'The Walking Dead' Season 4: AMC, Glen Mazzara Part Ways For New Season". huffingtonpost.com. huffingtonpost.com. December 21, 2012. Retrieved April 19, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (October 13, 2014). "'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Premiere Hits Series High Ratings in Adults 18-49 & Viewers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 13, 2014.
- "The Walking Dead: Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- "The Walking Dead: Season 3". Metacritic. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- "The Walking Dead: Season 2". Metacritic. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- "'Prison Break' actress' screenplay optioned". Hollywood reporter. September 8, 2010. Retrieved November 15, 2012.
- 'Faces in the Crowd' Begins Filming, Full Cast Revealed
- RLJ Entertainment to Pay the Ghost For Nic Cage’s Hair
- "Sarah Wayne Callies- Biography". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved November 15, 2012.
- "Sarah Wayne Callies: Biography". TV Guide. Retrieved November 15, 2012.
- Ausiello, Michael (January 23, 2007). "Exclusive! Prison Break Leading Lady Pregnant! Ausiello Reports". TV Guide. Retrieved January 23, 2007.
- Nudd, Tim (January 23, 2007). "Prison Break's Sarah Wayne Callies Is Pregnant - Pregnancy, Sarah Wayne Callies : People.com". People. Retrieved January 23, 2007.
- "Prison break trivia". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sarah Wayne Callies.|