|File:Logo form schaeffler group.jpg|
Klaus Rosenfeld, CEO and Deputy CEO to be;Klaus Deller CEO to be
The Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG (also known as Schaeffler Group respectively Schaeffler Gruppe in German) is a privately owned major manufacturer of rolling element bearings for automotive, aerospace and industrial uses. In August 2008 the firm agreed to a staggered €12 billion acquisition of larger rival Continental AG, whereby Schaeffler will defer taking a majority stake until at least 2012. However, in 2011 Schaeffler sold off €1.8 billion shares of Continental, reducing its stake from 75.1% to 60.3%. Currently, the company owns 46% of Continental shares. Schaeffler Group also owns the brands INA, FAG and LuK.
In Germany, the main brands of the Schaeffler Group – INA, FAG and LuK – are marketed by Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG and LuK GmbH & Co. oHG.
- 1883: Friedrich Fischer of Schweinfurt designs a machine to allow steel balls to be ground to an absolutely round state for the first time – and in large volumes.
- 1905: On 29 July, the FAG brand is registered with the patent office in Berlin. The registered trademark FAG, stands for Fischers Aktien-Gesellschaft.
- 1946: Brothers Wilhelm and Georg Schaeffler, both holders of Ph.D. degrees, found INA in Herzogenaurach.
- 1949: The needle roller cage, developed by Georg Schaeffler, makes the needle roller bearing a reliable component for industrial applications.
- 1965: LuK Lamellen und Kupplungsbau GmbH is founded in Bühl (with INA as one of the investors).
- 1999: INA takes over LuK GmbH
- 2002: Acquisition of FAG Kugelfischer Georg Schäfer AG, Schweinfurt.
- 2003: INA, FAG and LuK form the Schaeffler Group.
- 2008: Schaeffler Group buys the much larger Continental AG (Germany).
- 2009: President and CEO of the Schaeffler Group, Dr. Juergen M. Geissinger, was elected president of the World Bearing Association.
- 2011: Schaeffler Group becomes Schaeffler AG and Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG
- 2013: On 4 October, an employee letter said "... Mr. Klaus Rosenfeld will take over as acting CEO in addition to his current responsibilities as Chief Financial Officer".
- Schaeffler Group
- Mason, Rowena (21 August 2008). "Schaeffler family buys out tyre giant Continental for €12bn". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- Rahn, Cornelius (2011-03-28). "Schaeffler Sells 1.8 Billion Euros in Continental AG Shares".
- "Continental Corporation -Shareholder Breakdown, Notification of Voting Rights". Continental AG. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- [HISTORY] Friedrich Fischer's idea from the year 1883 for milling and grinding balls of equal size and exact roundness by means of a suitable production machine formed the foundation for creation of an independent bearing industry.
- "Schaeffler KG: Geißinger Takes on Chairmanship of World Bearing Association". Mining Reporter. 13 October 2009.
|30px||This German corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|