Health and Social Care Directorates
The Health and Social Care Directorates are a set of directorates of the Scottish Government. They are responsible for NHS Scotland, as well as policies on the development and implementation of health and social care.
The Chief Executive of NHS Scotland and Director-General of the Scottish Government's Health and Social Care Directorates is Paul Gray.
There is no direct relationship between Ministers and the Directorates. However, the activities of these Directorates include those under the purview of the Cabinet Secretary for Health, Wellbeing and Sport.
The current Directorates are:
- Chief Medical Officer - Chief Medical Officer: Dr Catherine Calderwood
- Chief Nursing Officer - Chief Nursing Officer: Fiona McQueen
- Health and Social Care Integration Directorate - Director: Geoff Huggins
- Health Finance Directorate - Director for Health Finance: Christine McLaughlin
- Health Workforce Directorate - Director for Health Workforce: Shirley Rogers
- Healthcare Quality and Strategy Directorate - Director: Michael Kellet
- Performance and Delivery Directorate - Director: John Connaghan
- Population Health Directorate - Director: Dr Andrew Scott
As well as responsibility for the regional health boards of NHS Scotland, the Directorates also have responsibility for:
- NHS Health Scotland
- Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland
- Scottish Ambulance Service
- State Hospital for Scotland and Northern Ireland
- Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- NHS National Services Scotland
There are 6 chief professional officers:
- Chief Dental Officer – Margie Taylor
- Chief Health Professions Officer – Jacqui Lunday Johnstone
- Chief Medical Officer – Dr Catherine Calderwood
- Chief Nursing Officer – Fiona McQueen
- Chief Pharmaceutical Officer – Professor RoseMarie Parr
- Chief Scientist (Health) – Professor Andrew Morris
The Scottish Executive Health Department (SEHD) was created in 1999 from the former Scottish Office Health Department (SOHD) (previously part of the Scottish Office Home and Health Department). The separate departments in the Scottish Government were abolished in 2007 and replaced with Directorates. In December 2010, the functions of the Health Directorates were taken on by the Health and Social Care Directorates.
- "Directorates". Scottish Government. 18 January 2016. Retrieved 23 January 2016.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Health and Social care: About us: How we are structured". Scottish Government. 18 January 2016. Retrieved 23 January 2016.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Structure diagram from 2007