Second Battle of Donaldsonville
The Second Battle of Donaldsonville was an American Civil War battle took place on June 28, 1863 in Ascension Parish, Louisiana.
On June 28, 1863, Confederate Brig. Gen. Jean Alfred Mouton ordered Brig. Gen. Tom Green's and Col. James Patrick Major's brigades to take Donaldsonville, Louisiana. The Union had built Fort Butler, which the Rebels had to take before occupying the town.
The Union forces were the Fort Butler Garrison: two companies of the 28th Maine Volunteer Infantry and some convalescents from various regiments. The Confederate forces were Tom Green's Texas Brigade and Colonel James Patrick Major's Texas Brigade.
On the night of June 27, Green, within a mile and a half of the fort, began moving troops ahead to attack. The attack started soon after midnight, and the Confederates quickly surrounded the fort and began passing through the various obstructions. Unfortunately, those troops attacking along the levee came to a ditch, unknown to them, too wide to cross, that saved the day for the Union garrison. A Union gunboat, USS Princess Royal, came to the garrison's aid also and began shelling the attackers. Futile Confederate assaults continued for some time but they eventually ceased their operations and retired.
This point on the Mississippi River remained in Union hands and many other Mississippi River towns were occupied by the Yankees: the Confederates could harass but not eliminate these Union enclaves.
- 28th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment
- Company C
- Company F
- Company G
- Misc. Convalescents and Freedmen
- USS Princess Royal - Cmdr Melancthon Brooks Woolsey
- USS Winona (1861) - Lt. Cmdr. A.W. Weaver
- 3rd Regiment Arizona Battalion  * 3rd Texas Cavalry - Col Joseph Phillips
- 4th Texas Cavalry - Col W.P Hardeman
- 5th Texas Cavalry - Maj. Denman Shannon
- 7th Texas Cavalry - Col. Philemon Herbert
- 1st Texas Partisan Rangers - Col. Walter P. Lane
- 2nd Texas Partisan Rangers - Lt. Col R.P. Crump
- 1st La. Btty. - Lt. O. Semmes
- OR Series 1, Vol. 26, part 1, pg. 230 list of casualties at Donaldsonville, LA 6/28/1863
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.
|This article about a battle of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|