Sepahan Airlines Flight 5915
HESA IrAn-140 EP-GPB, similar to the plane involved in the accident
|Date||10 August 2014|
|Summary||Crashed shortly after takeoff due to reported engine failure for unknown reasons|
|Site||Near Azadi Stadium, Tehran
|Injuries (non-fatal)||9 (7 major; 10, initially)|
|Fatalities||39 (38, initially)|
|Survivors||9 (10, initially)|
|Aircraft type||HESA IrAn-140|
|Flight origin||Mehrabad International Airport|
Sepahan Airlines Flight 5915 (SPN 5915) was a scheduled domestic passenger flight from Tehran to Tabas, Iran. On 10 August 2014, the HESA IrAn-140 aircraft serving the flight crashed shortly after takeoff from Mehrabad International Airport, falling into a residential area near the Azadi Stadium. Of the 40 passengers and eight crew on board, 39 people died.
The aircraft crashed into a residential block on Mina Glass Boulevard in western Tehran at 09:18 local time (04:48 UTC). The crash resulted in a fire erupting. IRNA, the Iranian state news agency, suggested that the aircraft suffered an engine failure.
Passengers and crew
There were 40 passengers and a crew of eight. Of the 40 passengers, 34 were adults and six were children.
The Independent has reported that nine people survived the crash. ABC News reported 38 people died instantly, and 10 passengers were hospitalised after sustaining injuries. State media originally reported that there were no survivors, but later revised their statement, stating there were about 10 survivors.[how?]
Fars News Agency quoted Mohammad Ilkhani, head of the Iran Airports Company as stating, "Failure of one of the plane's engines caused the plane to crash on the northern side of the Tehran-Karaj highway [Expressway]." Survivors reported that the number two engine had stopped during the takeoff. The pilots reportedly turned back four minutes after takeoff upon experiencing technical difficulties, but were unable to maintain altitude. The Antonov An-140 (upon which the HESA IrAn-140 is based) is a relatively recent development, with knock-down kits being delivered for domestic Iranian assembly as recently as 2007.
- "Failure of engine cause of Iran airliner's crash on August 10". irna.ir. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "Dozens dead in plane crash at Tehran airport". Al Jazeera. 10 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Agha Iqrar Haroon (10 August 2014). "Passenger plane crashed with 48 persons on board in Tehran". Dispatch News Desk. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Hradecky, Simon (10 August 2014). "Crash: Sepahan A140 at Tehran on Aug 10th 2014, lost height after takeoff". The Aviation Herald. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "About 40 killed as airliner crashes near Tehran's Mehrabad airport (video)". RT. 10 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Eleftheriou-Smith, Loulla-Mae (10 August 2014). "Tehran plane crash: 39 killed after engine fails after takeoff at Mehrabad airport". The Independent. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- DAREINI, ALI AKBAR. "Passenger Plane Crashes in Iran". Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- News, Arab. "Passenger Plane Crashes Near Tehran Airport". Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Iran plane crash kills dozens". Al Jazeera. 10 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Crash: Sepahan A140 at Tehran on Aug 10th 2014, lost height after takeoff". Avherald.com. Retrieved 2014-08-16.
- "At Least 39 Killed in Iran Plane Crash". Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Gladman, Paul (19 December 2007). "Antonov An-140". Flightglobal. Retrieved 11 August 2014.