Lega Basket Serie A
|Current season, competition or edition:
2015–16 Lega Basket Serie A
|No. of teams||16|
|Confederation||FIBA Europe (Europe)|
|Most recent champion(s)||Dinamo Sassari
|Most titles||Olimpia Milano
|Level on pyramid||1st Tier on Italian Pyramid|
|Relegation to||Serie A2|
|Domestic cup(s)||Italian Cup
|Official website||LegaBasket.it (Italian)|
The Lega Basket Serie A is a professional men's basketball league that has been organised in Italy since 1920. It constitutes the first and highest-tier of the Italian league pyramid, above the second division Serie A2, with which there is a promotion/relegation system.
Since then, twenty different teams have won the championship, with Olimpia Milano's twenty six titles the most and Mens Sana Siena's seven consecutive titles from 2007 to 2013 also a record.
After 2007–08 season, the league was reduced from eighteen to sixteen after two clubs, Basket Napoli and Orlandina Basket, were relegated for financial irregularities and not replaced.
The season consists of a home-and-away schedule of 30 games, followed by an eight-team playoff round. The Quarterfinals are best-of-five, while the semifinals and finals series are best-of-seven (in the 2012-13 season, all series were best-of-seven). The last placed club is relegated, and is replaced by the winner of the playoffs of the second-level Serie A2 Basket.
Lega Basket All Star Game
Italian basketball clubs in European-wide competitions
- Italian Basketball Cup
- Italian Basketball Supercup
- Italian Basketball Hall of Fame
- Italian Basketball Federation
- Michael Long (4 August 2015). "Italy's Lega Basket Serie A completes domestic rights sales". SportsProMedia. Retrieved 5 December 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Italian Serie A Games / Schedule (2015-2016)A". Eurobasket. Retrieved 5 December 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>