Shadow Dancer (film)
|File:Shadow dancer film.jpg
|Directed by||James Marsh|
|Produced by||Chris Coen
|Written by||Tom Bradby|
|Music by||Dickon Hinchliffe|
|Edited by||Jinx Godfrey|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Box office||$2.2 million|
Shadow Dancer is a 2012 British-Irish drama film directed by James Marsh and based on the novel of the same name by Tom Bradby who also wrote the film's script. The film premiered at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival and was screened out of competition at the 62nd Berlin International Film Festival in February 2012.
In 1993 Belfast, Colette lives with her mother and brothers, all members of the IRA. In the opening scene, set twenty years earlier, the Troubles results in the death of her younger brother when they are children. This presumably motivates her in later life. After a failed attack in London, Colette is arrested and offered a choice: either she spends 25 years in jail, thus losing everything she loves including her young son, or she becomes an informant for MI5, spying on her own family. Colette agrees to do so. An MI5 officer, Mac, is assigned as her handler. In return Mac offers a new identity to her after a period working for the MI-5. Soon Mac learns that his superior Kate Fletcher is using Colette to protect her mole inside the Irish organization. Mac tries to find the identity of the informer and protect Colette.
- Andrea Riseborough as Colette McVeigh
- Clive Owen as Mac
- Gillian Anderson as Kate Fletcher
- Aidan Gillen as Gerry McVeigh
- Domhnall Gleeson as Connor McVeigh
- Brid Brennan as Ma
- David Wilmot as Kevin Mulville
- Michael McElhatton as Liam Hughes
- Stuart Graham as Ian Gilmour
- Martin McCann as Brendan O'Shea
The film currently holds a "Fresh" rating of 82%, based on 69 reviews, at Rotten Tomatoes. British film magazine Empire giving it a score of 4 out of 5 stars, calling it "an intelligent and emotionally charged spy drama". The Guardian called it "a slow-burning but brilliant thriller about an IRA sympathiser forced to become an informant by MI5".
- "Shadow Dancer: Box Office Mojo". Box Office Mojo. 27 January 2013. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- Wise, Damon (2012-01-25). "Sundance 2012: Shadow Dancer – review". berlinale.de. London. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- "18 World Premieres in the Competition". berlinale.de. 2012-01-20. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- "Shadow Dancer Reviews". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- "Empire's Shadow Dancer Movie Review". Empire. 2006-12-05. Retrieved 2012-08-08.
- Wise, Damon (25 January 2012). "Sundance 2012: Shadow Dancer – review". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 23 August 2012.