Siege of Jerusalem
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
(Redirected from Siege of Jerusalem (disambiguation))
The Siege of Jerusalem can refer to several historical events:
- Siege of Jebus (c. 1000 BC)
- Sack of Jerusalem (10th century BC) by biblical Pharaoh Shishaq, identified as Shoshenq I of the Twenty-second dynasty of Egypt.
- Assyrian Siege of Jerusalem (701 BC) by Sennacherib, king of the Assyrian Empire.
- Siege of Jerusalem (597 BC) by Nebuchadnezzar II of Babylon
- Siege of Jerusalem (587 BC) by Nebuchadnezzar II
- Siege of Jerusalem (63 BC) by Pompey the Great, intervening in the Hasmonean civil war on behalf of the Roman Republic.
- Siege of Jerusalem (37 BC) by Herod the Great, ending Hasmonean rule over Judea.
- Siege of Jerusalem (AD 70) by Titus, ending the major phase of the Great Jewish Revolt. It ended in the destruction of Herod's Temple.
- Siege of Jerusalem (614) by Shahrbaraz (Sassanid general) capturing the city from the Byzantines, part of the Roman-Persian Wars
- Siege of Jerusalem (637) by Khalid ibn al-Walid (Rashidun general) under Umar the Great, capturing the city from the Byzantine Empire
- Siege of Jerusalem (1099) by the Crusaders, a part of the First Crusade
- Siege of Jerusalem (1187) by Saladin, resulting in the recapture of the city by the Muslims
- Siege of Jerusalem (1244) by the Khwarezmians, resulting in the recapture of the city from the Christians, to whom it had been returned by treaty
- Siege of Jerusalem (1834)
- Battle of Jerusalem (1917) involved the capture of the city in the Sinai and Palestine campaign of World War I by British and Commonwealth forces
- Battle for Jerusalem (1948) during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. The city was divided between Jordan and Israel; Israel made Jerusalem its capital.
- An encirclement of Jerusalem occurred in 1967, which was completed with the Battle of Ammunition Hill; however, the Six-Day War was short and decisive enough that a "siege" never quite took place.
- Siege of Jerusalem (poem), 14th-century Middle English alliterative poem depicting the events of 70 AD.
- The Siege of Jerusalem, 1771 poetical drama by Mary Bowes, Countess of Strathmore and Kinghorne also depicting events of 70 AD.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Siege of Jerusalem.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.