|KRI Diponegoro on sea trials in the Netherlands in April 2007. Photo courtesy of Mr Wim Kosten,maritimephoto.com
Sigma 9113-class corvette (KRI Diponegoro)
|Builders:||Schelde Naval Shipbuilding|
|Type:||Corvette or frigate|
|Length:||90.71 m (297 ft 7 in)|
|Beam:||13.02 m (42 ft 9 in)|
|Draft:||3.60 m (11 ft 10 in)|
|Complement:||20, up to 80|
|Aviation facilities:||landing pad, optional hangar|
The basic design of the Sigma Patrol Series can vary as the hull segments are designed as components. Ships can vary in the number of hull segments and in the order in which they are placed. Sigma stands for Ship Integrated Geometrical Modularity Approach. The ship's main dimensions are named in the types itself, SIGMA 9113 stands for 91 metres (298 ft 7 in) long and with a beam of 13 metres (42 ft 8 in). Likewise, the SIGMA 10513, is 105 metres (344 ft 6 in) in length with a beam of 13 meters.
The design was derived from the earlier High Speed Displacement hull form by MARIN Teknikk AS in the 1970s.
- Indonesia (TNI-AL) has four 9113 class corvettes in active service by 2009 and in August 2010 has signed a deal to build frigate PKR 105 based on SIGMA 10514 in PT PAL Shipyard Indonesia. A second contract was signed in February 2013.
- Morocco has ordered two 9813 class heavy corvettes (with VLS) and a light 10513 class frigate based on a modified design.
- Indonesia has ordered 2 Sigma 10514 class, these ships will be build by the Indonesian shipyard PT PAL with the first ship KRI 331 RE Martadinata was laid down in January 2014 and as of January 2016 the first ship is almost complete. On 18 January 2016 the ship was launched and is scheduled to be delivered to the Indonesian Navy in January 2017. The second ship, KRI 332 I Gusti Ngurah Rai, is under construction by PT PAL and the modules for the ship arrived in Surabaya in January 2016.
- Malaysia Damen Schelde participated in the competition to supply the Royal Malaysian Navy with six frigates under the Second Generation Patrol Vessel program. It lost to the French Gowind class. The other competitor was the MEKO A200.
- Egypt Damen Schelde was in competition for 4 Sigma corvettes (+ 2 options) for the Egyptian Navy. The French Gowind-class corvette won this bid. The other competitor was TKMS MEKO A200.
- Philippines Damen Schelde bought bidding documents but did not submit an offer.
- United Arab Emirates Damen had submitted an offer (likely the Sigma 9813 or Sigma 9814) for the Abu-Dhabi-class corvettes. It lost to a corvette based on the Italian Comandanti class.
- Oman had an interest in buying four SIGMA corvettes/frigates in March 2011. The Dutch queen Beatrix planned a state visit to Oman, one of the reasons for the visit was the sale of the ships to the Royal Navy of Oman.The official visit was cancelled due to the unrest in Oman at the time, she did go to an unofficial dinner with the Sultan of Oman. The official visit took place later in January 2012. During the first visit to Oman the Royal Netherlands Navy sent its air defence warfare frigate HNLMS De Ruyter to Muscat. In April 2012 it was announced that they lost to the Singaporean Al-Ofouq-class patrol vessel by ST Engineering. Damen had offered the Sigma 7513.
The Indonesian variant is based on the Sigma 9113 design. Work on the first of the class, KRI Diponegoro, began with the first steel cutting conducted in October 2004. The ship was christened on 16 September 2006 and commissioned on 2 July 2007 by Admiral Slamet Soebijanto, Indonesian Navy Chief of Staff.
Options for 2 other units were exercised in January 2006 with the first steel cut commenced on 3 April 2006 in Damen's Schelde Naval Shipbuilding yard, Vlissingen-Oost yard and not in Surabaya stated earlier.
On 28 August 2007, Jane's Missiles and Rockets reported that Indonesia was having problems securing the export license for the MM-40 Exocet block II and are considering Chinese made C-802 anti-ship missiles as alternatives. However, the ships have already been delivered with the Exocet missiles.
On the 16 August 2010, Indonesia Defense Department, signed a deal with PT PAL Indonesia and Damen Schelde to build a 105-meter frigate in Indonesia based on Damen Schelde Sigma 10514 design. For the first ship, 5 modules for the ship will be build in Indonesia and the Dutch manufacturer Damen Schelde will build 2 modules while for the second ship the Indonesians will build 6 modules and Damen Schelde will build 1 module. The first hull will only be equipped with guns (without major weapons) and the second hull is complete with major weapons such as 76mm Main Canon, 12 MICA vertical launch air defence missile, MM-40 Exocet block II, Torpedo, and SMART-S MK2 radar system. Though the Indonesian Navy announced that it will build two destroyer escorts referring to the SIGMA 10514. On the Indo Defence 2012 exposition a model was revealed showing the phalanx and ASW mortar replaced by a single 35 mm Oerlikon Millennium Gun system, also the 76mm had a stealth cupola. Some reported that the VLS missiles will be Aster-15 instead of MICA, due to these changes the ships role also changed from ASW to AAW.
On 1 February 2013 it was announced that a second unit will be build by Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding and PT PAL Surabaya, the second contract includes torpedo tubes, combat control room and a couple of surface weapons. As of December 2015, the first ship, KRI RE Martadinata (331), was 85% complete and the ship was launched on 18 January 2016.
On 6 February 2008, Morocco signed a USD$1.2 billion contract with Schelde Naval Shipbuilding for two Light frigate SIGMA 9813 and one Light frigate SIGMA 10145 which are modified versions of the existing Sigma-class design.
A subsequent contract was signed on 1 April 2008 with Thales Nederland for the supply and installation of the command and control and sensor package for the ships. The package included TACTICOS combat management system, SMART-S Mk2 surveillance radar, LIROD Mk2 tracking radar, Thales KINGKLIP sonar system, IFF system, Integrated communication system comprising external communication system and FOCON internal communication system, two Target Designation Sights, VIGILE ESM system, SCORPION ECM system, and the integrated navigation system.
The first frigate for Morocco, Tarik ben Ziyad, was launched in July 2010, began sea trials on 6 May 2011 and was delivered on 12 September 2011. The second ship was launched on 2 February 2011, with sea trials planned for late in the year. The third ship was planned to be launched in September 2011.
Ships of class
TNI-AL / Sigma 9113 design
|KRI Diponegoro||365||24 Mar 2005||16 Sep 2006||5 Jul 2007||Prince Diponegoro, a National Hero from Central Java|
|KRI Sultan Hasanuddin||366||24 Mar 2005||16 Sep 2006||24 Nov 2007||Sultan Hasanuddin, a National Hero from South Sulawesi|
|KRI Sultan Iskandar Muda||367||8 May 2006||24 Nov 2007||18 Oct 2008||Sultan Iskandar Muda, a National Hero from Aceh|
|KRI Frans Kaisiepo||368||8 May 2006||28 June 2008||7 Mar 2009||Frans Kaisiepo, a National Hero from Papua and the fourth Governor of Papua|
TNI-AL / Sigma 10514 design
|KRI RE Martadinata||331||January 2014||18 January 2016||Planned for 2017||Raden Edi Martadinata, a National Hero From Bandung and One of the founders Of Indonesian Navy|
|KRI IG Ngurah Rai||332||tba||tba||Planned for 2017||I Gusti Ngurah Rai , a National Hero From Bali Island and Leader on Puputan War against Dutch Colonialist|
Moroccan Navy / Sigma 9813 & 10513 design
|Tarik Ben Ziyad||613||15 Apr 2009||12 July 2010||10 Sep 2011|
|Sultan Moulay Ismail||614||Mar 2009||4 Feb 2011||10 Mar 2012|
|Allal Ben Abdellah||615||Sep 2009||Oct 2011||8 Sep 2012|
Note: 613 now shows on AIS as Sultan Moulay Ismail.
There are three types of Sigma combatants
- Sigma frigate
- Sigma corvette
- Sigma fast attack corvette
Simplified comparisons between the different Sigma models.
|Specifications||Compact Sigma 5910||Compact Sigma 7310 ||Sigma 9113||Sigma 9813||Sigma 9814||Sigma 10513||Sigma 10514|
|Ordered by||-||-||Indonesian Navy||Royal Moroccan Navy||Vietnam People's Navy (cancelled)||Royal Moroccan Navy||Indonesian Navy|
|Type||Fast Attack Corvette||Fast Attack Corvette||Corvette||Frigate||Frigate||Frigate||Frigate|
|Build||-||-||4||2||0||1||0 (2 on order)|
|Length||58.6 meters||74.2 meters||90.01 meters||97.91 meters||99.91 meters||105.11 meters||105.11 meters|
|Beam||10.00 meters||10.00 meters||13.02 meters||13.02 meters||14.02 meters||13.02 meters||14.02 meters|
|Draft||3.10 meters||3.10 meters||3.60 meters||3.75 meters||3.75 meters||3.75 meters||3.75 meters|
|Displacement||750 tons||900 tons||1,692 tons||2,075 tons||2,150 tons||2,335 tons||2,365 tons|
|Main machinery||3 x -||4x 3900 kW||2 x 8910 kW||2 x 8910 kW||tbd||2 x 8910 kW||2 x 9240 kW|
|Speed (cruising)||18 knots||18 knots||18 knots||18 knots||tbd||18 knots||18 knots|
|Speed (maximum)||32 knots||34 knots||28 knots||28 knots||tbd||28 knots||28 knots|
|Endurance||2,000 nm||2,000 nm||4,000 nm||4,000 nm||tbd||4,000 nm||5,000 nm|
|Primary sensors||Thales Smart-S MK2||Thales NS-100||Thales MW08||Thales SMART-S MK2||Thales SMART-S MK2||Thales SMART-S MK2||Thales SMART-S MK2|
|Helicopter||none||none||deck only||deck and hangar (9 ton)||deck and hangar||deck and hangar (9 ton)||deck and hangar (10 ton)|
|Status||-||-||In Service||In Service||Under construction||In Service||Under Construction|
There are multiple new Sigma designs released in early 2015 of which little is known, these are the:
Sigma 8313 / Sigma 8011 / Sigma 7613 / Sigma 6610
They are likely to be part of the Compact SIGMA series, a new series small sized combatants with shorter range and up to 2 weeks mission endurance with the same combat systems as the larger Sigmas.
- Amazonas-class corvette Brazil
- Braunschweig class corvette Germany
- Descubierta-class corvette Spain
- Floréal-class frigate France
- Gepard Cheetah-class frigate Vietnam
- HTMS Krabi Thailand
- Independence-class littoral mission vessel Singapore
- Milgem-class corvette Turkey
- Minerva-class corvette Italy
- Qahir-class corvette Oman
- Sa'ar 5-class corvette Israel
- Steregushchy-class corvette Russia
- Thetis-class patrol frigate Denmark
- Type 056 corvette China
- Visby class corvette Sweden
- Kora-class corvette India
- Kamorta class corvette India
- "RENK AG Press Release, September 2006, Diesel Propulsion Drives: When perfection arises from tradition". Renk.de. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Thales to supply key systems for new corvettes Indonesian Navy worth 60m euro.". Thales-nederland.nl. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Imtech Naval Projects Reference List" (PDF). Marine.imtech.nl. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Egyptian Navy would be about to order 4 to 6 Gowind Combat Corvettes from DCNS". Navyrecognition.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Defense Studies". Defense-studies.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Indonesian Specifications of the Sigma Class coverttes". Scheldeshipbuilding.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "ANTARA News: Navy chief takes delivery of corvette made in Netherlands". Antara.co.id. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Two SIGMA 9113 corvettes more for Indonesia" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on October 1, 2006.
- "JMR: Indonesia evaluates C-802". Janes.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "JNR: Indonesia selects Damen for frigate contract". Janes.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding". Damenaval.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "DEFENSE STUDIES". Defense-studies.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Garuda Militer". Garudamiliter.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "DEFENSE STUDIES: Kemhan Memproses Kontrak Pembelian PKR 105 Kedua dengan Damen Schelde". Defense-studies.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "The Indonesian Navy Task Force of PKR Starts its Mission in the Netherlands". Defense-studies.blogspot.com. April 15, 2013. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Two-Ship Programme Firms Up for Indonesian PKR Frigate". Defense-studies.blogspot.com. May 17, 2013. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Dutch Firm Gets Green Light for Military Exports to Indonesia". Defense-studies.blogspot.com. June 5, 2013. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Indonesia signs for Thales TACTICOS system". Garudamiliter.blogspot.com. September 10, 2013. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Thales to supply mission suite for Indonesian Navy (TNI-AL) PKR vessels". Navyrecognition.com. November 18, 2013. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Damen (DSNS) starts steel cutting for SIGMA 10514 PKR Frigate for Indonesia Navy (TNI AL)". Navyrecognition.com. January 15, 2014. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding lays keel of first SIGMA 10514 PKR Frigate for TNI AL (Indonesia)". Navyrecognition.com. April 19, 2014. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- Joris Janssen Lok (8 February 2008). "Morocco's Dutch Frigate Order is Confirmed". Aviation Week & Space Technology.
- Frank van de Wiel (7 April 2008). "Thales awarded contract for Moroccan OPV". Thales Nederland. Archived from the original on April 13, 2008.
- "The Netherlands: Second Multi-Mission Frigate Launches at Damen Shipyard for Moroccan Navy". Shipbuilding Tribune. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 2 October 2011. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- "First Multi Mission Frigate for Royal Moroccan Navy Starts Sea Trials". Shipbuilding Tribune. 12 May 2011. Archived from the original on 2 October 2011. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- "Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding Delivers SIGMA Class Frigate to Royal Moroccan Navy". Shipbuilding Tribune. 12 September 2011. Archived from the original on 2 October 2011. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- "News - Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding". Damennaval.com. 2010-07-18. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- "Moroccan Navy receives first Sigma Class frigate". Naval Technology.
- "News - Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding". Damennaval.com. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- "Moroccan Navy receives second Sigma-class frigate". Naval Technology.
- "Moroccan Navy commissions its third SIGMA-class frigate". Naval Technology.
-  Archived March 18, 2015 at the Wayback Machine
-  Archived March 18, 2015 at the Wayback Machine
-  Archived September 11, 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- "SIGMA 9813 Sultan Moulay Ismail Allal Ben Abdellah Morocco Royal Moroccan Navy البحرية الملكية Frégates Multi-Missions Marocaines FMMM DSNS DAMEN Schelde Naval Shipbuilding datasheet pictures photos video specifications". Navyrecognition.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Vietnam Navy selects MBDA Exocet and VL Mica missiles for its Sigma 9814 Corvettes". Navyrecognition.com. November 4, 2013. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "Design of future Damen SIGMA 9814 Corvettes for Vietnamese Navy revealed". Navyrecognition.com. March 1, 2014. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "SIGMA 10513 Tarik Ben Ziad Frigate طارق بن زياد Morocco Royal Moroccan Navy البحرية الملكية Frégates Multi-Missions Marocaines FMMM DSNS DAMEN Schelde Naval Shipbuilding datasheet pictures photos video specifications". Navyrecognition.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "SIGMA 10514 PKR Frigate Indonesia Indonesian Navy TNI AL Perusak Kawal Rudal PT PAL DSNS DAMEN Schelde Naval Shipbuilding KRI datasheet pictures photos video specifications". Navyrecognition.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
- "DAMEN introduced the new "Compact SIGMA" line of corvettes during DSEI 2013". Navyrecognition.com. Retrieved 2016-01-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sigma class corvette.|
- SIGMA Class Frigates (FMMM), Morocco
- SIGMA 10513 Tarik Ben Ziad Frigate - Royal Moroccan Navy
- SIGMA 9813 Frigates Sultan Moulay Ismail & Allal Ben Abdellah - Royal Moroccan Navy
- Sigma 10514 PKR Frigate - Indonesia Navy (TNI AL)
- Commonality and similarity in DAMEN SIGMA designs
- SIGMA corvettes
- SIGMA Frigate
- SMART-S Mk2 Medium to Long Range (S-Band) Solid State Surveillance Radar