Template:Infobox pharaoh Menwadjre Sihathor was an ephemeral ruler of the 13th dynasty during the Second Intermediate Period. Sihathor may never have enjoyed an independent reign, possibly only ruling for a few months as a coregent with his brother Neferhotep I. According to egyptologist Kim Ryholt, Sihathor died in 1733 BC while Detlef Franke dates his short reign to 1694 BC.
According to the latest reading of the Turin canon by Ryholt, Sihathor is recorded there on column 7, line 26 (Gardiner col. 6, line 26). Sihathor is attested on two statues from the Hekaib sanctuary in Elephantine as a "king's son", which is here an honorary title referring to his brother Neferhotep I being king. Two rock inscriptions from Philae and Sehel Island further mention Sihathor as a brother to Neferhotep I. According to Ryholt and Stephen Quirke, Sihathor is also attested as a king on a steatite cylinder seal, now in the Petrie museum UC11571, and a bead of unknown provenance, now in the Brooklyn Museum. A few further seals mentioning a king's son Sihathor are known, but Ryholt concludes that they may correspond to another Sihathor. Finally, Vivian Davies points to the existence of a statue of Sihathor made after his death and where he is only given the title of "king's son".
The family of Sihathor is known thanks to the rock inscriptions of Philae and Sehel made by his brother Neferhotep I. Sihathor's father is thus known to be Haankhef, his mother was Kemi and his brothers were Neferhotep I and Sobekhotep IV, the later of whom eventually succeeded him on the throne.
- K.S.B. Ryholt, The Political Situation in Egypt during the Second Intermediate Period, c.1800–1550 BC, Carsten Niebuhr Institute Publications, vol. 20. Copenhagen: Museum Tusculanum Press, 1997, excerpts available online here
- Thomas Schneider: The Relative Chronology of the Middle Kingdom and the Hyksos Period (Dyns. 12–17), in: Erik Hornung, Rolf Krauss, David A. Warburton (editors): Ancient Egyptian Chronology (= Handbook of Oriental studies. Section One. The Near and Middle East. vol 83). Brill, Leiden/Boston 2006, ISBN 978-90-04-11385-5, pp. 168–196.
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Picture of the cylinder seal
- Vivian Davies: A Statue of the King's Son, Sahathor, from Thebes, in: Stationen Beiträge zur Kulturgeschichte Ägyptens Rainer Stadelmann editor, Heike Guksch, Daniel Polz, pp. 177 - 179, ISBN 3-8053-2526-6
- Flinders Petrie: Scarabs and cylinders with names (1917), available copyright-free here, pl. XVIII
|Pharaoh of Egypt