From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
Silesian cuisine is an umbrella term for all dishes with a specific regional identity belonging to the region of Silesia. It is a subtype of Polish and German cuisine with many similarities to neighbouring local cuisines.
List of Silesian dishes
- Żymła - a well-baked bread roll, oval with a division in the middle, topped with poppy seeds, similar to Austrian Kaisersemmel.
- Kluski śląskie (Silesian dumplings) - round shaped dumplings served with gravy, made of mashed boiled potatoes, finely grated raw potatoes, an egg, grated onion, wheat flour and potato flour.
- Rolada z modrą kapustą (rouladen with red cabbage) - best-quality beef-meat roll; stuffed with pickled vegetable, ham, and good amount of seasoning; always served with red cabbage (with fried bacon, fresh onion and allspice); traditionally eaten with kluski śląskie for Sunday dinner.
- Szałot - a salat made of squares of boiled potatoes, carrots, peas, ham, various sausages, pickled fish, boiled eggs, bonded with olive oil or mayonnaise.
- Kaszanka/Krupniok/Grützwurst - kind of blood sausage made of kasha and animal blood.
- Żymlok - like krupniok but instead kasha there is bread roll (żymła).
- Wodzionka/Brotsuppe - soup with garlic and squares of dried rye bread.
- Siemieniotka/Hanfsuppe - soup made of hemp seed, one of main Christmas Eve meals.
- Knysza - pita bread with meat and lots of cabbage.
- Moczka/Motschka - traditional Christmas Eve dessert, its main ingredients are: gingerbread extract, nuts and dried fruit, strawberry compote and almonds.
- Makówki/Mohnklöße - traditional Christmas Eve dessert,many elaborate recipes possible; based on finely ground poppy seeds, with raisins, almonds, candied citrus peels, honey, sugar, pudding, and flavoured with rum. Decorated with fingers of crumbling.
- Hauskyjza - strongly-flavored, home-made cheese with carawey seeds
- Kopalnioki - hard candies made of sugar, anise oil, and the essences of St John's wort, melissa, peppermint. Its black colour comes from charcoal food dye.
- Streuselkuchen/Kołocz śląski - made of a yeast dough covered with a sweet crumb
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:Cuisine of Silesia.|
|This cuisine-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|