North Bay Bohemian
|File:North Bay Bohemian logo.jpg|
|File:Bohemian cover 10 17 07.jpg
The front page of the October 17, 2007 edition of the North Bay Bohemian
|Headquarters||847 5th Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
|Sister newspapers||Santa Cruz Weekly, Metro Silicon Valley|
The North Bay Bohemian is a free weekly newspaper published in the North Bay subregion of the San Francisco Bay Area, in California, United States. The newspaper is distributed in Sonoma and Napa counties.
The newspaper began publication in 1979 as The Paper in the Guerneville area of western Sonoma County by struggling artist turned community journalist Nick Valentine and jazz pianist Bob Lucas. It was renamed the Sonoma County Independent in 1993 under the ownership of John Boland and James Carroll. In 1994 the Independent was purchased by Metro Newspapers, an independent group of three Bay Area alternative weeklies and the publication frequency was changed to weekly. In 2000, the newspaper was rebranded as the North Bay Bohemian and the circulation area was expanded to Marin and Napa counties. In 2015, Metro Newspapers acquired the Pacific Sun and the Bohemian withdrew from Marin County.
The Bohemian's logo was originally designed by graphic designer Martin Venezky and later refined by typographer Jim Parkinson. It was based on the 19th Century wedge serif typeface Saracen as redrawn by Jonathan Hoefler. 
The Bohemian has won numerous awards for its work.
- Awards from the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies:
- For investigative journalism:
- "North Bay Bohemian". aan.org. Association of Alternative Newsweeklies. Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- Cahill, Greg; Giles, Gretchen; Templeton, David (September 2, 2003). "The Silver Anniversary: Looking back at a quarter century". North Bay Bohemian. Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- Robinson, Frank (July 27, 2011), The Paper’s founder Nick Valentine dies in Australia, Sonoma West Times and News: Sonoma West Publishiers, retrieved 10 Aug 2014
- Iwan, Christine (October 5, 2000). "Sonoma County Independent Adopts New Identity". aan.org. Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- Holbrook, Stett (2015-05-13). "The 'Sun' Also Rises". North Bay Bohemian. Retrieved 2015-05-17.
- "Saracen: A missing Victorian gem". Typography.com. Hoefler & Co. Retrieved 10 Aug 2014.
- Association of Alternative Newsweeklies awards
- Howell, Daedalus (May 24, 2006). "Wine Tasting Room of the Week: Gloria Ferrer Champagne Caves". North Bay Bohemian. Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- Howell, Daedalus (June 7, 2006). "Wine Tasting Room of the Week: Bartholomew Park Winery". North Bay Bohemian. Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- Howell, Daedalus (October 4, 2006). "Wine Tasting Room of the Week: Wilson Winery". North Bay Bohemian. Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- "#23 Feinstein’s Conflict of Interest in Iraq". Project Censored.
- Byrne, Peter (January 27, 2007). "Dianne Feinstein: A Question of Ethics". North Bay Bohemian. Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- 2007 IRE Awards winners
1999 Lincoln Steffens Award for investigative journalism for coverage of deaths of inmates at the Sonoma County Jail