South Versailles Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
South Versailles Township is a township in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 351 at the 2010 census. Early in its history, South Versailles contained three villages known as Coulter, Emblem, and Osceola. The village of Coulter is also called Coulterville or Coulters. The U.S. Post Office in the village is called Coulters.
The township is a narrow strip of land located on the right (east) bank of the Youghiogheny River, between it and the Westmoreland County line. It contains two tiny villages, Alpsville and Coulter, plus a couple of small coal strip mines.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), of which 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2), or 12.24%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 351 people, 151 households, and 107 families residing in the township. The population density was 407.6 people per square mile (157.6/km²). There were 162 housing units at an average density of 188.1/sq mi (72.7/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 100.00% White. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.28% of the population.
There were 151 households, out of which 23.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.3% were married couples living together, 11.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.1% were non-families. 26.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 14.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.32 and the average family size was 2.81.
In the township the population was spread out, with 18.8% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 23.1% from 25 to 44, 25.4% from 45 to 64, and 26.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 98.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $33,125, and the median income for a family was $42,500. Males had a median income of $35,625 versus $22,292 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,414. About 5.8% of families and 8.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.1% of those under age 18 and 2.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Joe "Moon" Harris, a Major League Baseball player in the early 20th century, was born in Coulter, which is a part of South Versailles.
- Art Rooney, founder of the Pittsburgh Steelers, was born in Coulter.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), South Versailles township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved September 30, 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Ackerman, Jan (May 10, 1984). "Town names carry bit of history". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 6. Retrieved 31 October 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to [[commons:Script error: The function "getCommonsLink" does not exist.|Script error: The function "getCommonsLink" does not exist.]].|
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.