St. Elizabeth College of Nursing
|Motto||Latin: Caritas benigna est
(Love is kind)
|Location||Utica, New York, NY, US|
|Colors||green and yellow|
The St. Elizabeth College of Nursing is a private university located in Utica, NY, United States. Established in 1904 as a single purpose three-year degree program in Utica, New York. It was registered by the New York State Education Department (NYSED). The college was a product of the mission and tradition of St. Elizabeth Medical Center (SEMC). St. Elizabeth College of Nursing offers a comprehensive educational experience that prepares their students to be qualified Registered Nurses.
It was registered by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) as St. Elizabeth Hospital School of Nursing and graduated its first class of seven in 1907.
St. Elizabeth College of Nursing celebrated its one-hundredth year of operation in 2004 and has graduated over 3000 men and women who provide professional and high quality care to clients of all ages. The college is based on the following Franciscan Values: a community of service to one another and to the community, a quest for truth, understanding, and excellence in academic discipline, fostering peace, justice and respect for creation, compassion, and humility and reflection. It is also based on the vision of facilitating the teaching/learning process to prepare the learner for entry level practice into the discipline of nursing, respond to ongoing changes in education, technology, and health care, and to empower the learning community, in the spirit of the Franciscan tradition, to embrace lifelong learning.
The program offers a two-year associate's degree in applied science (AAS) in nursing. St. Elizabeth College of Nursing is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, fully accredited by The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), and registered by The University of the State of New York State Education Department. In the year of 2013/2014, 237 students enrolled. 160 of those students were full-time and 77 of them were part-time, all of them graduating with their degrees. The tuition per year is $13,600 in state.
In 2007, SECON and SUNY Poly announced a unique partnership, the 1+2+1 program designed for high school students who have shown excellent academic achievement and can meet the rigorous admission requirements for the program. During the freshmen year, the general education requirements are completed at SUNY Poly. In years two and three, the student will earn an associate degree while completing the nursing program at SECON leading to RN license. The fourth and final year of the program returns the student to SUNY Poly where a BS degree is earned (BSN). This allows the students to receive two nursing degrees in just four years.
The College continues to respond to ongoing changes in healthcare and remains a leader in nursing education in the Mohawk Valley.
- Varinya Sheppard, MS, RN (President)
- Christine Menard, MS, RN (Dean of Student and Faculty Development)
- Beverly Plante, MS, RN (Dean of Student and Faculty Development)
- Susuan Weikel, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Julie Wells-Tsiatsos, MS, RN, RNC-OB (Nursing Instructor)
- Laurie Franklin, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Lisa A. Streeter, MS, RN, CNE (Nursing Instructor)
- Stephanie Bouck, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Candace Kaufman, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Jessica Eldred, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Melissa Porter, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Jennifer Dunlap, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Kimberly Panko, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Lauren Fallon, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Michelle Parker, BS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Shannon Holtslag, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Lara Belfiore, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Kimberly Gizzi, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Doreen DelRosario, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Chad Trevisani, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Kim Scalise, MS, RN (Nursing Instructor)
- Jillian Atkinson, BS, RN-C, MNN (Nursing Instructor)
- Sherry Wojnas (Director of Finance)
- Eileen Muhlig, BS (Registrar/Bursar)
- Kathleen Smith, MS (Coordinator of Instructional Media and Student Services)
- Samantha Rouillier (Admissions Coordinator)
- Michael Garcia, MA (Librarian/Information Specialist)
- Karen Wahl (Administrative Assistant to the President)
- Linda Lomonaco, RN (Student Health Nurse)
- Nancy Zoeckler (Administrative Assistant to the Deans)
- "St. Elizabeth College of Nursing, Utica, NY". College Board. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- History of St. Elizabeth College of Nursing, St. Elizabeth College of Nursing, 2015, retrieved 22 June 2015
- Education, City of Utica, New York, 2015
- College of Nursing, MVHS and STEMC, retrieved 23 June 2015
- Mission & Vision, St. Elizabeth College of Nursing, 2015
- Accreditations/ Affiliations, St. Elizabeth College of Nursing, 2015
- Saint Elizabeth College of Nursing Stats, Info and Facts, Cappex, 2014
- Administration, St. Elizabeth College of Nursing, 2015, retrieved 22 June 2015